Need a VERY CHEAP gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Alright guys, I need your support. I lost my part-time job so I'm not pulling great money right now, I need a cheap build, one that I can overclock like hell. It doesn't have to be top-of the line, I am going to use my current CD drive and Hard drive. I just need a good case that will keep all my parts cool, because I want to overclock. If AGP mobo's are cheaper, than that is what I need.

I really am only going to be gaming on HL2 and CS:S, but I want to play it on medium-high settings. Remember I will be overclocking.

I really want to try to keep under $500.

The system in your sig would easily be able to play HL2 and CSS on medium settings if not high settings, though I don't know if it's below $500.

I see possible improvement for the motherboard, HDD, and PSU.

Since you want to be an overclocker, you obviously want a DFI. I'm not too up to date with the DFI boards; hopefully someone else can help you with that.

For your HDD, I hear that Maxtor isn't the one of the better brands. Consider a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Raptor for speed. Like said, you are using your current HDD so no problems there. Keep this in mind if you want to buy one in the future though.

If that's a case PSU, you may want to buy a brand-name PSU. I don't think your system will require a load of power, so look into any of the name brands (ie. OCZ). Since you're overclocking, you will definitely want a PSU that can pump out some power and has good fail-safe features. I know the OCZ Modstream is a very good PSU. Get the Powerstream if you want to spend the extra bucks.

AGP is relatively cheaper, but there were some cases where the PCI-E GPUs were cheaper than AGP. I don't think the price difference is insanely different. For the sake of "upgradeability", you may want a PCI-E.

If you want to be a huge overclocker though, you will get nowhere with stock cooling. If you don't want to go with a water rig, look into getting a CPU heatsink. There is a Zalman out there which got good reviews. The Thermalright XP-90c is a very good heatsink and will make a drastic difference in temperatures.

I would strongly suggest a water rig if you want all the possible OC. You can get an aftermarket cooler, but the key difference there is the temperatures under load. That XP-90 will reduce idle and load temperatures, but it will still run much hotter under load. A water rig will not only decrease temperatures at idle but the delta temperatures between load and idle is very minimal. Some people get a total difference of like 3 C, perhaps running 40 C under load.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K-128
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169

$586 without case and windows XP if needed.

recommend
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive-62
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BG-41
Thermalright XP-90C at xoxide.com + Fan=60
Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-57

Total $806 without case and windows XP if needed.

Roger

Counter-Strike said:
Hey bud, do you not realize I'm on a budget...

And I need to update that, I am gonna get a diff setup.

It's an idea, but apparently wise answers are your way out to some good advice. Either way.

If you get everything except the hard drive and burner and don't need windows XP.
Than total with
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply-56
Which has a roof fan, and side window fan, with space for 2 additional fans in the rear, so pretty good cooling.
Total cost would be $760.

this should fit in the budget
AMD 3000+ Venice core 939 CPU
DFI NF4 Ultra-D 939 motherboard (best one for overclocking)
160gig Seagate SATA Hdd
1gig TWINMOS Speed premium (cos u have gaurenteed bh-5)
eVGA 6600GT PCI-E
keep stock cooling till u have more cash

damasta55r said:
If you get everything except the hard drive and burner and don't need windows XP.
Than total with
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply-56
Which has a roof fan, and side window fan, with space for 2 additional fans in the rear, so pretty good cooling.
Total cost would be $760.
$500 seems like a tight budget for a highly OC'able decent gaming computer.

But you certainly won't be able to get any sort of crazy OC'ing with simple case fans and a stock heatsink on your CPU. Add about $50 for that Zalman or $30 for the XP-90.

The point is, don't expect any sort of crazy OC'ing with a very tight budget. Many people invest a couple of hundred to get ridiculous OC's (like a water rig).

Originally posted by Sh0r_ty
keep stock cooling till u have more cash
Yeah, agreed. Save up some serious cash for some serious cooling (ie. WC) for some serious overclocking. Serious ideas require some serious budgets and some serious cash. Very serious, eh? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom