Windows 2000 not recog 120GB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

grifter43

Baseband Member
Okay, so I just put this computer together and I have a western digital 7200 RPM Ultra ATA 120GB hard drive. Problem is...that windows will not recognize that it is in fact 120 GB. My system BIOS automatically sees it as 120GB though.

What's the deal here?

Have you formatted the drive completly? Checked that the partition is formatted all the way? Have a look in disk management

Are you sure your BIOS is up to date enough to recongize a 120 drive. I had a old system i was running till last year that wouldnt recongize anything over 100 or something silly cause the BIOS was so old that there was a limit on the HDD it would see.

Yeah, I was thinking of making sure it was my BIOS by running update but I really think it has something to do with Windows. While in setup, BIOS actually sees it as a 120GB HDD.

Windows only sees 40GB of it and I think it is because I pulled it off my Dell that could only see 40GB's. I bet Dexta is right. I didn't think that it may need to be formatted all the way.

I'll try both. Thanks for the help.
:)

If Windows only see it as 40 but BIOS see it at 120 then it was partitioned and never fully formatted.

I dont think you can but i would try. Either that or insert a disc at startup and get to a dos prompt and format it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom