Belkin Pre-N vs Linksys SRX router...the real deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
Ok, this little incident was quite a suprise to me. I purchased a Linksys SRX router last week. Installed it and was amazed at the speed I was getting from another room on my laptop, not even using the 802.11n card, just 802.11g. Later that night I read a review testing the various "pre-n" type routers on the market. The Belkin Pre-N router won hands down for highest transmission speed at a given distance, and the SRX I believe came in third.

Seeing that I payed more for essentially lower speed, I quickly returned the SRX and ordered a Belkin. Well it arrived today, only to say I am extremely dissatisfied. With the SRX router, I was achieving 54mb/s continuously, never a variance. The Belkin Pre-N on the other hand, is jumping between 24mb/s-36mb/s. This is downright awful!!! Pages are much noticeably slower to load, and at this point I'm beginning to wonder just what the heck is going on with these "tests" that were performed.

Any ideas before the neighbors find a free router in their yard?

You are noticing pages load slow with only a 24mb connection on a router?

You know, your not going to notice that speed difference internet browsing unless you are superman and have a t3

Well...no. That's half the speed of the SRX, which equates to double the load time. Is there a falicy in that statement?

The router sometimes doesn't respond to the initial requests as prompty as the SRX (viewed obviously by watching the lower right connection icons), that's for sure, and that is mainly what's slowing the connection down. I walked my laptop around the house, I can't achieve the same 54mb/s until I am out of the room I use my laptop in. Hmm, could it be the Belkins antenna design? Maybe a lower gain than the SRX? The SRX did have have much larger antennas.

well since u were seeing good speeds u shouldnt have fooled with it i would rma the belkin and get ur srx back man

timmer said:
well since u were seeing good speeds u shouldnt have fooled with it i would rma the belkin and get ur srx back man

You know, you're probably right on that one. Main thing is however, this is the 802.11g performance differences. Not the "pre-n" near true 802.11n network for which each router is designed for. They are both just backwards compatible with the G. But it makes me think the same results would apply. However, one of the main reasons I switched right away was the fact that I then purchased the Belkin router AND card for the price of the SRX router(I have a built in G card). Hopefully my wireless N card arrives tomorrow or monday so I can post my results. Anyways I found the review, check it: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Linksys_WRT54GX/4505-3319_16-31242695-2.html?tag=glance

Update as well, the Belkin is now starting to bump up to 48mb/s here and there (both being in the exact same physical positions). Don't know what might have made for the better reception however.

I think with the Belkin Pre-N router you'll need to have a Pre-N adapter for it to work at those higher speeds at all. We'll see when you get your new card in the mail, though.

jorsoft03 said:
I think with the Belkin Pre-N router you'll need to have a Pre-N adapter for it to work at those higher speeds at all. We'll see when you get your new card in the mail, though.

Correct, but 802.11g is a full 54mb/s sec, what the SRX was achieving.

Is that a benchmark, or the speed windows was saying

At best, in the real world, your getting 22-25 meg outta a wireless G connection.

What woindows was saying. And yeah, your definitely right. But I can assume based upon windows rounding up or down on the connection speed, that the connection is indeed slower with the Belkin. I'm sure I will be more than happy with the speed when the card arrives however.

yea but if he isnt seeing good speeds with 54g he prolly not gonna see such good stuff with pre_n. i dont know much about pren but i read it in my pc magazine and those shits are expensive but are supposed to reach speeds of wired internet is that true yet? but it says its not supposed to be out till 2007 hmm..yea u shoulda stuck with the srx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom