OC/RAm? what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should both be running at 200 actually, RAM speed should never (and can never) be run higher than the FSB. He can, however, lower the CPU multi and pump up the FSB speed to 275MHz with the RAM on a 1:1 ratio..
Not true for an Intel at least. I cannot say for sure on an AMD system, since the only one I have OC'd had DDR400 RAM, so it wasn't an issue.

But I know that in my system, with everything stock, the multi is actually somewhere around 3:4 FSB:RAM (what ever it works out to) to give me 200FSB and 266RAM.

Calzinger said:
Any idea why my memory clock is so low? My bios reports that the memory frequency is 167mhz. CPU-Z reports the same. Everything is on the default settings. I even reset the CMOS.

It's not reading your ram right, manually enter in the speed, timings and voltage

Blargh. When I set the RAM settings from auto to manual (without changing anything else), it crapped out, and I had to reset my CMOS.

LOL, last time I checked this there was only like 4 replies. Thanks for all the help though, but to honest, I've never OC'd before and none of this makes sense.

So, I want to OC my 2000+xp (1.67) to like 1.8ghz. Now, I'd like to get the cheapest RAM possible. Would it be better to OC with pc3200 or pc2700?

I have a stick of 512 pc2700, and I could buy a stick of 512 pc3200, and OC. that'd be cheaper to me, but may not work as well considering the 3200 will slow down to 2700. So should I just buy a gig of pc3200 and OC with that?

Jeez, there is so much garbage and misinformation in here.

First off....it's a 266FSB CPU....so it's not like he's going to be in danger of overclocking RAM in the first place if he got something like PC3200 which would have to severely UNDERCLOCK down to PC2100 speeds just to get 1:1 for his CPU.

I believe the CPU will be 133x12 = 1.6GHz stock.....now with THIS in mind...if he wants to hit 1.8GHz he'd need an FSB of 150.....ok this is still below PC2700 speeds....PC3200 RAM would still be WAY underclocked..

So why no one has noticed this, or even mentioned the fact that technically in this situation, OC'ing RAM isn't even a factor muchless 'requiring expensive RAM' to OC is beyond me.

Buy PC3200 RAM, and even when you OC your CPU it will stay at 1:1 ratio, and the RAM will STILL be underclocked by quite a bit.

Of course during all this you will need to have a board that supports locking the AGP/PCI at 66/33MHz

Yall need to think more before you post like that. Take time to read over his problem, do some reaserch if you have to.. i do so a lot, as people seem not to know how to use google...

Yeah you can get PC3200...like I said it'll underclock to match your CPU's FSB.....you'll get nowhere near 200 which is stock PC3200's speeds from your stock 133....that'd be 2.4GHz from stock 1.6GHz if you made it that far.

However, look at the list of specified RAM modules it lists to work with that board if you choose to get PC3200....so it looks like you need to make sure you get:

Corsair
Kingston
Apacer (never heard of em)
or Samsung

Sorry to but in, but circuit city is selling Kingston ram PC3200 for 22 dollars after rebates. 512 sticks. Its pretty hot if your looking for cheap ram to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom