new comp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him said:
Dont ever use an onboard overclocking utility, it is crappy. They never work right, and result in instability and an all around bad oc. Plus, it defeats the purpose of overclocking. Overclocking is something you have acheived though your own merit. It's like buying spray on mud for your car. Why do that when you can go get REAL mud for free, and have alot more fun doing it.
How does this relate to my post?

And Him, you have some warg'ed information as well.

As for the BFG VS XFX, look at the price difference. You consider $20 for +20/+50 a rip off? That's ridiculous.

As for your 7800 GTX VS 2x6800 Ultras, you want to talk about rip offs? For example, the cheapest PCI-E 6800 Ultra at newegg is MSI's which sells for $469. The cheapest PCI-E 7800 GTX at newegg is Biostar's which sells for $540, but nearly every other 7800 GTX is in that $540 range. Also keep in mind that some SLI motherboards are significantly more expensive than a single PCI-E solution.

You do the math. You spend around $400 more for 2x6800 Ultras in SLI. The performance advantage is so ridiculous for that price.

The 7800 GTX easily performed better than 2x6800 Ultras in some benchmarks. Check anandtech. So actually, it looks like those million years were cut short there.

Calzinger said:
The MSI board assumes you have no idea how to overclock and basically automatically does it.

you told him it would overclock for him, thats how it relates.

And yes, you are right, it would be a rip off to get the 2x 6800's. I must fix some of my information and clear some things up. i was thinking of the 6800GT, they are only $346. The only difference between the GT and the Ultra is the number of pipelines, 12 vs 16. It is incredibly easy to unlock those other 4 pipelines on the GT and turn it into an Ultra. Do that, put those in SLI, they rape a 7800.

We need some other opinions in here. You are too opinionated to listen to one person.

Him said:
you told him it would overclock for him, thats how it relates.

And yes, you are right, it would be a rip off to get the 2x 6800's. I must fix some of my information and clear some things up. i was thinking of the 6800GT, they are only $346. The only difference between the GT and the Ultra is the number of pipelines, 12 vs 16. It is incredibly easy to unlock those other 4 pipelines on the GT and turn it into an Ultra. Do that, put those in SLI, they rape a 7800.

We need some other opinions in here. You are too opinionated to listen to one person.

Your a little jacked up there again Him :p

Both the GT and Ultra have 16 pipes. The difference are the frequencies. GT = 350/1000 and Ultra = 400/1100.

Agreed, of course. The auto-overclock utilities are insanely lousy. But that really all depends on the user. There are plenty of people that don't want to get into the complications of overclocking given a potential risk if done wrong.

Since this guy is a newbie, and he even said it, he may find an auto-overclock utility to his advantage. The risk can run much lower since it removes the possibility of you entering some bogus value of 400HTT.

When you suggest a system for another person, keep in mind that their purpose is very important to look at. You obviously won't suggest a 6600 GT for someone that renders abstract all day, though that is a drastic example.

It looks like this guy is not much of an overclocker and is a bit of a beginner (as I am). IMO, I believe that the MSI would be the best possible option for someone that doesn't want to look into complications. Again IMO, the DFI could potentially be complicated for him just to do simple overclocks. I own the MSI and the overclocking features are very easy to get to. I have never owned a DFI so I can't say for sure that it is too complicated. If you think it's easy to use for a real beginner, then I will stand for the DFI. But from what I have seen and heard, the MSI is a solid easy-to-OC motherboard, perhaps easier than the DFI.

idiotec said:
Your a little jacked up there again Him :p

Both the GT and Ultra have 16 pipes. The difference are the frequencies. GT = 350/1000 and Ultra = 400/1100.

BLASTED!!! I really need to become learned on my gfx cards, eh? Thats the second time I've provided wrong information on some GFX cards to people. Someone got a good place to read up on all of the new cards? Possibly a summarization of the new cards that are out? Which card has 12? The regular 6800? i'm thimnking it's the GT thats easy to oc to Ultra speeds. BLAST!!! We all have our weak areas, I just found mine. :(

The only way to learn to overclock is to take the plunge headfirst. Granted, you can read all you want up on it, but until you do it, you will only know so much. Thats why I never touch the thread talking about timings and Ocng. I only know so much, only have theory, never practical use (yet)

If you are not willing to take the chance on overclocking and destroying your hardware, than ocing is not for you.

Just my 2 cents. I would go with the MSI board, esp if you are a newbie to ocing. The ram options are endless (well not endless but there are like 16+ alone). Its true that you will get a perfect oc if you know EXACTLy what you are doing, but if you don't, there will be alot of headaches. Sometimes, its better to go with the simpler board.

Also, check out www.anandtech.com. Go to the video section. They have very good benchmarks,information in their video section, and are genearlly not biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom