water cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester6565

In Runtime
I am thinking about putting a water cooling kit into my computer. I have about 200 to spend, what would you recamend that will give me the best performance

I think this belongs in the other forum.

Look at the thread I made: http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=63290.

Those are the parts I am getting, and from what I hear, they are good parts.

If you want to save money, go with the clearfex tubing over the tygon.

You can also get a black ice extreme radiator over the heatercore I'm getting. Heatercores are supposed to have more performance, but you have to mod it if you don't get a pre-modded one. Radiators just kind of save you that hassle.

Also look into getting fans for your radiator/heatercore.

TDX Block
D5 Pump

Those are the two parts you can't really stray away from, mind you, the MCW6002 and AquaXtreme 50z will give the same results, it comes down to personal preference.

The rest comes down to how you want your loop customized. You can save money and space and use a T-Line, or get a reservoir. The radiator option is limited to maintain your budget, you can buy a Black Ice Xtreme from dangerden or simply get a 72 Bonneville heatercore and mod the appropriate fittings yourself. Tubing is all about the same, Tygon is generally the best but there's no real difference, or you can just buy generic 1/2" hosing from a hardware store.

Make sure you read the stickies at the top as well

And I think I'll keep this in overclocking until we have the appropriate forums for this type of crap

Go to Home Depot for your tubing. You can buy it at a computer website for $1.50/ft+, or you can go to Home Depot and get a spool of 10ft for $5. That kinda answers itself. You can also get the T fitting there for a buck or so.

I believe the '72 Bonneville heatercore over at the dangerdenstore comes pre-modded.

I heard that some generic hosing can be very lousy when bending, and some can have stronger resistance than others.

The Clearflex 60 and Tygon seem to be the better options for the good ability and low resistance, yes?

1/2 tubing is 1/2 tubing. How could one have more resistance over the other? And yes, the tubing I got is rather difficult to bend, but whatever, that means I will have to spend an ADDITIONAL 5min hooking it up.

Tubing is tubing man. Say what you like, but I'm going to stick with my tubing that cost me $23 less than your tubing did, and with that $23 that I saved, I'm going to go buy me a handle of Bacardi and get wasted. All the while knowing that I got wasted on the money that should have been spent on tubing. :p

And it's actually the '77 Bonneville.

Him said:
1/2 tubing is 1/2 tubing. How could one have more resistance over the other? And yes, the tubing I got is rather difficult to bend, but whatever, that means I will have to spend an ADDITIONAL 5min hooking it up.

Tubing is tubing man. Say what you like, but I'm going to stick with my tubing that cost me $23 less than your tubing did, and with that $23 that I saved, I'm going to go buy me a handle of Bacardi and get wasted. All the while knowing that I got wasted on the money that should have been spent on tubing. :p

And it's actually the '77 Bonneville.
Year is besides the point. He might shine away from the fact that you have to mod your own heatercore when in fact that is not true.

And mind you, I didn't order my rig yet. I plan to in a few weeks. Yet, I didn't hear you mention anything there about saving money on tubing in that thread.

I do recall reading a review somewhere where tubing can have different resistence. The difference is miniscule, but resistence isn't my main reason for buying more expensive tubing. Its ability to bend is more important in my case.

It all depends on preference. I find an easy-to-bend tubing as essential so that it's easier to work with your case when you have to install new parts or rearrange things. You also have no idea how my setup is laid out. An easy ability to bend the tubing can avoid many complications in my setup, apparently not yours.

Calzinger said:
. Yet, I didn't hear you mention anything there about saving money on tubing in that thread.

I didnt recall posting in that thread, either.

Yes, ability to bend it is big for people, but, no matter how thick, it can always be bent. You may have to do some things to it, use zip ties to avoid kinks and such, but whatever. And you are right, the ability to bend isnt imperative in my case, but I though you had the wind tunnel case and that thing is monstrous!

And it dosent matter if the year of the core is beside the point, I was just correcting you. Being a n00b, he will go looking for the 72 and only find the 77 and have to say he could only find the 77 and if it is ok. Either that, or he would get the one for the 72 (if such a thing exists, I dont know) and find out it is wrong.

Point taken. Some people pick up their heatercore at autozone and he could get hella confused if he mentions the wrong year. I just figured if he were to get a heatercore, he may order the pre-modded one from the dangerdenstore link I posted. My mistake.

I do have the massive Silverstone Temjin 6 with the wind tunnel, but since case fans seem to be so important, I'm beginning to have trouble finding a spot to fit my double heatercore. After mapping it out a bit, things will be a little tight since it will all basically be cluttered in one section of the case. To be honest though, would Tygon or Clearflex 60 be significantly more bendable than a generic one from Home Depot or something? If the difference isn't that great, perhaps I could work with a generic tubing. Otherwise, I need all the possible "bendage" for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom