Geforce 7800 GTX running on a 64 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONid3mOnXLR

Solid State Member
Is that defeating the purpose of the super duper graphics card. Becuase i can afford one or the other.

I can get

A: Geforce 7800 GTX w. a 64 3000
B: Same card w. a 3200
C: A 6800 GT and a 3500

I would like to get the ub3r cArdZ3 r1gHt n0w aND g3T t3h b3tT3r pr0C (t3H 3500) l8t3r, but will that work out, or will that combo suck (!!!!!)

Thanks

ONi

It's an ok combo.

If you get a venice 3000+, you can overclock it to get around 4200+ speeds pretty easily if you know what your doing, and you have a decent motherboard and ram.

go with option B and a venice 3200, and them do what the DJ said, and OC it to the extreme.

I see what you saying, it seems the 3000 would bottleneck that fast video card.

What stock speed A64 do you need to prevent bottlenecks with that video card? 3500 and up or would you need an even better processor than that to avoid a bottleneck?

No it wouldn't bottleneck it, he is saying that it is pointless to waste more $$ on a 3200 when you can OC it to 4200+ speeds easily. The 64 series is a very flexible brand of OC'ers.

I vote Option A.

Most of your game-playability comes from the video card. Its rare that you will run into gaming problems with a less-than-top-of-the-line CPU. You could also take some others suggestions and OC that CPU, especially if its a Venice.

You guys do realise that 4200+ speeds would be around 3GHz right? To suggest that a core can reach such an increase in core speeds "easily" is simply ridiculous, you need to know what you're doing and have the proper hardware to go along with it, and even then it comes down to luck of the draw. I'd suggest guranteed 400Mhz increase at the most, the rest comes down to a combination of luck and skill.

Option A is fine, you'll notice little difference, if at all any between the 3000+ and 3800+ range.

I think he means that since the 4000+ is 2.4 GHZ, then the 4200+ will be around 2.6 GHZ, and you can add 100MHZ to make up for the lost cache, and the final result would be 2.7 GHZ which would theoretically be around the speeds of a theoretical single core 4200+. Ow, ya, option A is the best. The max ocing speeds depend, and don't improve if you go up a notch in terms of official speeds. Its all based on luck. Heres a link to a super cheap 3000+, confirmed to be venice core. Get an aftermarket heatsink fan, maybe the Zalman 7700 or the Thermaltake xp-90 and oc it to death.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?src=eb&name=A64-3000BP

It'd be 2.6GHz to match 4000+ speeds since the 3800+ and 4000+ are the same core speeds, just different cache sizes. The 4200+ would be around 2.8GHz which is still farfetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom