OC/RAm? what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
If i want to OC my cpu, do i need to OC my RAM too? I don't get it! I want to OC my 2000+ xp to like 1.8 ghz, (stock is 1.67) but I don't wanna buy expensive RAM just to OC. :(

I have a case fan and heatsink/cpu fan. lol The room it will be in will be quite cool though.

Couldn't I use "speed fan" and make the fan faster?

I'd OC it from 1.67 to 1.80-1.9

But so I dont need to OC RAM in order to OC cpu?

Yes you need to oc ur ram aswell if your overclocking your cpu, as a 1:1 ratio. I never knew that either, i guess you found the same post as me and just said to urself. WHAt. The. ****?

Calzinger said:
You don't have to OC your RAM in order to OC your CPU. I wouldn't overclock your processor on stock cooling though.

dont post incorrect answers please.

to overclock you need to up the fsb. The fsb is the connection from the cpu to the ram. you up the fsb, the ram follows.

SHAWN said:
dont post incorrect answers please.

to overclock you need to up the fsb. The fsb is the connection from the cpu to the ram. you up the fsb, the ram follows.

My apologies.

It's such a simple concept that those guides didn't seem to tell me. I misunderstood the real function of the FSB, didn't realize it was tied to the RAM.

In theroy yes you need to overclock the ram as well. As the FSB goes up, so does the CPU and RAM.

Two exceptions
-Some CPU's (Athlon FX and Mobiles mainly) have the multiplier unlocked. This means you can overclock them without overclocking anything else *All AMD's are unlocked from the bottom, so you can lower speed*

-You can also lower your ram divider. However this makes your ram run a bit too slow

And about OC'ing ram, yes you can overclock cheap ram, even though it's harder. You have to mess with the timings. I overclock with the cheapest ram, and if you search you can see some impressive overclock's

Whoo, yeah, a lot of misinformation here.

You do not HAVE to OC your RAM when OC'ing the processor. Like DJ said, if you have access to raise the multi, that won't effect RAM speeds, and 2, you can lower the FSB:RAM ratio in order to avoid OC'd RAM speeds.

With that said, you do not have access to raise the multi with your chip, so thats out.

Now, one thing I don't know is what RAM speed you have and what the FSB is on the old XP chip, but you might have overhead with your RAM so you could OC at 1:1 without OC'ing your RAM as well.

For example, if your FSB is 133 (533 total bus) and you have PC3200 RAM (200Mhz speed), you have a lot of overhead to OC with.

Now, I am not familiar with the Athlon XP chips, but keep reading and you'll figure it out. Also, like DJ said, you can still usually get a little OC out of valueram, you just have to play with it and see what works.

idiotec said:
You do not HAVE to OC your RAM when OC'ing the processor. Like DJ said, if you have access to raise the multi, that won't effect RAM speeds, and 2, you can lower the FSB:RAM ratio in order to avoid OC'd RAM speeds.
That's exactly what got me confused. I thought that you don't have to OC your RAM with your CPU since you don't have to run a 1:1 ratio. You will only have to OC your RAM if you run 1:1, correct?

Calzinger said:
That's exactly what got me confused. I thought that you don't have to OC your RAM with your CPU since you don't have to run a 1:1 ratio. You will only have to OC your RAM if you run 1:1, correct?

For the most part, but there are exceptions if you have overhead with your RAM like I was saying. My OC is a perfect example:

P4 3.4Ghz 200Mhz FSB
RAM = DDR2 533 (266Mhz)

My OC:
RAM 1:1
Multi x14
FSB 266Mhz

This puts my processor at 3.73Mhz (300Mhz OC) but RAM is still at stock speeds of 266Mhz (or DDR2 533) at a 1:1 ratio. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom