Athlon 64 3200+ Venice or Winchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kray

Baseband Member
I was putting together a new computer and decided my processor would be one of these. Of the reviews I read, most of them said Venice>Winchester. What are your opinions?

Also, should I order some thermal paste too?

Yes, Venice does have some advantages over Winchester cores.

Venice run cooler than Winnies and also overclock better. Venices also have a new instruction set that Winchester dont: SSE3.

Another one is that Venice officially supports higher speed RAM than Winchester. With a BIOS update, mobos that support it, and have a Venice/San Diego CPU you can use higher speed RAM due to the larger number of CPU/FSB dividers available.

i agree with statements above, and would like to add that with this most recent revision people have begun seeing overclocks exceeding 2.8ghz on air... downright amazing, the new architecture in the venice is killer.

Yes, the 3200+ Venice is known everywhere as the prime choice for overclocking on a budget (The better ones are the new San Diego's, but they are ridiculously priced right now), it is also an excellent processor on its own.

Yes, order some Arctic Silver 5, it will improve your temps.

Go 4 the Venice 3000+ it overclocks all the way to 3500+ speeds I think with decent cooling

No, not the 3000+, the 3200+ overclocks to 3500+ pretty well on stock cooling. i'm pretty sure you need more than decent cooling to get the 3000+ there.

Looks like Venice is the winner. I can't wait for the parts to come in so I can get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom