How Many Hardrives. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbobtheturkey

Beta member
I was just wondering the maximum amount of hardrives you can have on one computer at a time. I already have two on my comp but I was hoping I could add another for more space .

Thanks alot : Kacey

umm, I guess it depends on the size of the case?

Sure you can get 2 more, i guess with small midi towers possibly 4?

depends. In your average computer you can accomodate 4 ide devices. Usually 1 or 2 Optical Drives, and 1 or 2 hard drives. If you put a Hard drive on the same channel as a optical drive it runs really slow. Some motherboards support up to 4-6 Sata drives so you may be able to add 4-6 drives that way. Also you could get a PCi card that gives you extra capabilites. Tell your system specs.

He means, what hardware do you have. Hardware being graphics card, hard drive ect.

As in,

Intel pentium 4
Nvidia 6800GT

ect

I'm sorry and thank you. Give me just a few moments perhaps and I'm sure I could get such information for whomever wanted it.

It all depends upon your motherboard. You could have as many slots as you want on your case, but what's the point if you have nowhere to plug it on your motherboard?

My full-size tower has six hard drive racks while my motherboard also has six SATA connectors. I only have two ports for IDE, one which is currently connected to my optical drive.

If you are to get another hardrive, it may be wise to get SATA since most motherboards have plenty more SATA connectors (given their small size). Make sure your motherboard is SATA compliant, which it should be.

Are Ultra ATA drive supposed to be compatible in RAID 0?? sry I have no idea about Hard drives

You could have them hanging out of your case. The DFI UTNF4 has 8 SATA ports, correct? and you have your 4 IDE channels. Then you can connect up to 127 USB external hard drives, and You can fill up the rest of your PCI slots with SATA or IDE cards at say 4 a piece, and an average of 4 PCI slots, thats.... lets see, 155 devices.
Yea, thats a bit much.... ok im done.
-Joe

You can have 4 in your standard IDE PC. And add an extra for every SATA controller.

And than you can get add on cards for IDE and SATA.

Than their is SCSI card's, you can daisy chain a whole bunch of SCSI drives together, forget the exact number.

And then their's your included USB, up to 127 devices per host / contoller I believe.

And than you can use your firewire port as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom