Cable modem and DNS errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulger07

Solid State Member
I have a machine running windows me and using roadrunner cable modem. whenever we try to get on the internet, the page cannot be displayed. Roadrunner says that their end is working correctly and the problem is with the DNS. Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling windows. Machine was connecting properly until 1 week ago when someone tried to set up an email account using Outlook Express, cannot get email either.
Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.:D

The first thing I would do is call Roadrunner and have them assit you making sure that the settings for TCP/IP and connection are setup correctly. If you are connecting the cable modem directly into your network card on your PC then they should help you out with this. There are common settings when dealing with their internet connection that I we can help you out with if they cannot, but you should go through them first.

-Mike

According to RoadRunner everything is setup correctly. Their tech support walked thru everything and they say it is a DNS problem. I did not handle the call to them and am just relaying what I was told - so if this is true I have no idea.
I tried the advice given by param4u - when I tried to ping www.yahoo.com I got - unknown host www.yahoo.com. I then tried the ipconfig/flushdns. I then got Cannot find server when I tried to access yahoo either way suggested.
I closed IE and tried again and it went back to this page cannot be displayed.
Any help appreciated, Thanx.

what info can you get from ipconfig or winipcfg?
the dns should be listed..
since your computer is working, write down your dns numbers and then mod your friends settings to match yours...

Spybot S&D and Adaware fixed the problem. Looked in msconfig and started googling unknowns - found several problems. Ran both programs and guess what - We are online -
Thanx for all the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom