???___Few Simple Questions------???

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
Allright so awhile ago I was experiencing alot of bluescreen errors. Now I sent in my computer for repair and they replaced the motherboard, ram, hardrive, proccesor, and videocard. The technician assured that if I experienced another one of these errors it would be due to a software problem since they replaced most hardware. These errors would happen most often in digital art programs(Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Cinema 4D) and they would also happen often whenever I would run SpyBot S&D. I got rid of Spybot and "backed up" my digital art programs onto a cd. Now, my question is the following: Can software cause bluescreen errors? I thought that bluescreen errors would only occur because of a problem in hardware? I'm not sure wether to re-install the 3 digital art programs that I have in the cd or wether to "reacquire" these programs incase the ones I have backed up on CD are faulty? I find it hard to beleive that all 3 digital art programs could be causing these bluescreens. Not to mention the problems I got whenever I would run SpyBot S&D. I'm just not sure wether to risk installing those 3 digital art programs that I have on cd or to reacquire them.

Also, when I received my computer it would seem as if they reloaded Windows XP Home and used the Service Pack 2 edition. Is Service Pack 2 really all that bad? I've heard of people experiencing problems while using it, but as far as I know thats only when you update from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. Not when Service Pack 2 comes preloaded instead of updating from Service Pack 1.

Haha ALSO, for some reason the Windows Firewall was automatically turned on. I'm guessing it's because I'm using Service Pack 2. I'm simply wondering if the firewall is any good? I already have Ad-Aware, AVG Antivirus by Grisoft, and Webroot Spy-Sweeper installed. If it's a good firewall and won't interfere or anything then I'll just leave it on. I'm also wondering if itll affect my speed when downloading, playing an online game, etc.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

wow, how much did you spent to replace the whole computer? (if it's free, tell me where you got the computer :D)

well, derived from your later paragraph, your using windows xp (you should say this up front).. and i have yet seen a "typical" bluescreen error in windows xp (can you tell me what exactly is written on the error screen?)..

one of the possible cause "might" be a memory problem, as graphical program makes intensive use of memory, you prob need to upgrade your RAM to 512mb - 1 GB?

service pack 2 is not "Bad", and it's mature enough (i hope) now to be installed as long as you keep updating :D i wouldn't follow right up with a new service pack within 1 month of it's release though.. as it's usually make your computer worse, but after the month, alot of bugs have been fixed, then it may benefit your computer :D

mmm.. yes, windows firewall comes with service pack.. the firewall is pretty good for incoming packets, but i recommend you get a thirdparty firewall, as ubiquitous software is just too easy to be comprimised (mainly because of hte sheer number of people trying..), i don't see any preceiveble difference in speed when turned on :D

Thanks man. Yeah, Im still in the warranty period so they replaced the parts for free. All I paid was 10 bucks for shipping and handling. I sent in the computer for replacement and they loaded it with service pack 2. I know I posted quite a few questions but I'm in serious need of some help. Dunno if posting my specs will help, but here they are:

AMD Athlong 64 3200+
2 case sleeve fans 8x8
Abit Kv8-Pro VIA KT-800
512 MB Kingston 400mhz DDR Ram
Maxtor 160gb 7200rpm (8mb SATA-150) HD
Sony 16x dvd
NEC DVDRW +/- 8x
600 watt subwoofer + speakers
1.44mb floppy
Multimedia Keyboard
Optical Mouse
Thermal Meter
6 in 1 card reader
Blue Bold Cathode neon light
Windows XP HOME
Orion 420Watt psu
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
Nec 17' LCD Display

Comeon guys, anyone? I'd really appreciate any kind of help offered. I found out on another forum that Service Pack 2 blocks alot of ports needed for online gaming(Counter Strike, Day Of Defeat, etc.) and many ports for P2P programs. Is there any truth to this? If so, is there a way to get around this issue?

i've never found any ports i want to use been blocked.. so..

didn't you read my last post? can you please tell us what the error message tells you?

Oh sorry. Well thats what used to happen before my computer got replaced. They told me that if it would happen again it would be due to software not hardware since they replaced most of it. So Im not sure wether to risk installing my old digital art programs that I had on cd or to just reacquire new ones. Up to now I havent had another one of these blue screens. Of course Ive only had the computer for 2 days.

well, we can't help u if we don't know what the hell is going on... and the error message is the best way of tell us that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom