Hey Friend. Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

Hmm, one thing it could've been was a fragged hd with bad sectors man. usually you wanna run scandisk before a defrag just to be safe that your defrag doesn't move important files to the bad sectors.

Most likely if they changed all your hardware, and reinstalled windows they killed off your registry entries. So yeah, maybe it could've been a registry entry that pointed to a corrupted exe? ya never know with computers man. I myself like to reformat windows once every 8 months or so.

Okay, they couldn't find a problem. Here is a few things I see wrong with what they did (I agree with DJ-Chris, if you paid for the RPL parts you got SCREWED). Now, a power supply is a very likely component, so is cooling. It all depends on the kind of error it is. Plus, they have NO way of knowing if it's proprietary software causing the problem as they didn't not write the code for it. Yes, you can check the error logs (event viewer and what not) as well as look up the error code generated via the BSOD. Also, to let you know most times errors occur it is usually software related (indirectly can be hardware, like faulty drivers or conflicts). Now if they formated it and the same errors occured the next step should of been to check for any bios updates, MBD chipset drivers, cooling issues, PSU, compatability problems, run tests on the equipment, many things could of been done. If you were charged for this stuff I would be seriously yelling shennanigans here.

No, I was still in the warranty period so I didnt pay for ANY of the parts. All I paid was shipping and handling which was 10 dollars. Now I remember checking the error log after the blue screen one time and it said it was a hardware issue. I dont remember how I checked the log though, so I havent been able to do it again. I dont know exactly what you mean by Proprietary software, do you mean actual Microsoft Windows software? If so, then the problems occured when using software from Adobe(Photoshop and Illustrator), Maxon(Cinema 4D) and SpyBot S&D. As far as cooling goes, well I already posted my specs and as you can see it has 2 fans. One on the main mobo and another attached to the glass part of the case. I also have a thermostat which reads the temp and it would always be at a 42 Celsiuc degree average. I just dont want to risk screwing up my computer and cause blue screens because of faulty software. Theres no way I could know if it was the software or the hardware. I just want some suggestions, opinions, etc. At the moment I cant afford to get a new psu either.

It's guartneed to be the power supply or hard drive it if does it again.

And you can check the power supply...

How do I check the power supply? Also, so you honestly don't think it was the software then? You think I should just install the programs I have on cd?

I highly doubt it was the software, but you could try patching.

You can test the voltages on a power supply using a voltmeter, but without expensive equipment you cannot test that much on it.

So, what exactly is "Patching"

Also, if I were to turn off the Windows Firewall would I still be safe with AVG AntiVirus by Grisoft, Ad-Aware, and Spy-Sweeper?

If you have a hardware firewall you will be safe, I recomend only using hardware firewalls as windows firewall is crap

Patching is getting the updates to your programs

I've noticed that Windows Firewall seems to slow me down. Whenever I run a speedtest with the firewall on I get a lower speed than I do when I run it without the firewall. Does happen to anyone else?

I also heard that Service Pack 2 blocked many incoming ports even without the firewall. I dont like using firewalls too much because they seem to get in the way. You sure I wouldnt be safe with 2 spyware programs(Ad-Aware, Spy-Sweeper) and an antivirus program(AVG Antivirus)

You are never safe enough. The spyware and Anti Virus are only as good as the definations running them. A firwall will prevent someone from hacking your computer and taking it over. POlus it will also stop some activity from coming in or outgoing. So if you dont mind someone being able to just take control of your computer you can just turn off the firewalls, but i would recommend against it. There are new viruses and spyware written everyday and a firewall helps prevent it from infecting your computer before there is a defination written for it. Yes firewall and all that do slow down your computer a bit but for the protection you are getting it is worth it. But this is a personal preference matter. If you dont want it you dont have to have it. It is recommened though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom