Computer Not Starting - Blips On Then Off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterchief11

Solid State Member
Well about a week ago i was playing BattleField 2, when all of a sudden... instant shutdown. Screen went black, and the computer was dead. I was like WTF, so I pressed the power button; nothing. I unplugged the power cord from the back of the PSU and plugged it back in, then hit the power button. The power came on for about 1/4 of a second, then turned off (the fans moved about an inch.) Then about a second later, it blipped on and off, then quit.

So, I thought it was my PSU. I went ahead and bought a nice Thermaltake PSU which arrived today. I installed it and hooked up all the power cords. I pressed the power button, and to my worst fear, it did the same thing, just blipped on then off.

So, WTH is wrong with my computer? Could the mobo be shorting on something? Is the mobo fried? Is the power connector on the mobo broken?? How come NOTHING starts up in my computer??? I checked the power button connector on the mobo, it looks fine. So, i dunno what the hell is wrong.

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.

try testing the new psu on a mates pc, just to check that it is not by chance another faulty psu.

Yea thats what I thought, but the chances of that are pretty slim. I can't do it now since it's 11:30pm (well, i could but it would cause some ruckus), but i'll see if I can test it out on a friends pc tomorrow.

~~

Hypothesizing that it ISN'T the new PSU, what else could it be? I thought about it at work today, and I just don't understand what it could be. I plugged the power cord into a different outlet and into a different power strip, and it still wouldn't turn on, but my TV and a fan work on them two outlets, so I don't think I blew any fuses or whatever. And the power strip seems to be fine because my lamp, cable modem and router all work. So what in the hell could it be? I would think the fans should atleast run, or something. Maybe some power button soldering came undone on the connector or something, I dunno.

Anyone else?

That's what I'm thinking. :( x100

If it is, what would cause it to suddenly fry?

Could it be a virus? (i *ran Sygate firewall, AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and a router, so I dunno if that bad of a virus could get in....who knows though.)

I'll do all the stripping tomorrow and post what I find (heh). Thanks for the help.

Could be that the psu failed, or the mobo. I don't think it could be a underpowered psu because you were using it previously.

Well, I think it's the mobo. I'm pulling all the parts out and reinstalling them now. If it doesn't work, I'll call a friend or something and ask if I can use their mobo. If that works, then it must be my motherboard. I just HOPE my CPU, RAM, video card, and hard drive (especially my hard drive - I just finished putting all of my passwords on a password keeper a few days before my comp died, and ripped up the paper copies [stupid me!!]) didn't go along with it.

masterchief11 said:
Well about a week ago i was playing BattleField 2, when all of a sudden... instant shutdown. Screen went black, and the computer was dead. I was like WTF, so I pressed the power button; nothing. I unplugged the power cord from the back of the PSU and plugged it back in, then hit the power button. The power came on for about 1/4 of a second, then turned off (the fans moved about an inch.) Then about a second later, it blipped on and off, then quit.

So, I thought it was my PSU. I went ahead and bought a nice Thermaltake PSU which arrived today. I installed it and hooked up all the power cords. I pressed the power button, and to my worst fear, it did the same thing, just blipped on then off.

So, WTH is wrong with my computer? Could the mobo be shorting on something? Is the mobo fried? Is the power connector on the mobo broken?? How come NOTHING starts up in my computer??? I checked the power button connector on the mobo, it looks fine. So, i dunno what the hell is wrong.

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.

The EXACT same thing happened to me about a month ago, thats why I have bought a new pc. When i say exact, i mean, EXACT. But for me, it was when listening to some music.

With the new pc here, i tried the ram in it, worked. Tried the dvd drive, worked.

Its ironic you said you also bought a psu, because I bought a new one too, nothing happened.

If i would guess, I would say your pc just overheated and plang, full shutdown. I would guess that its the motherboard.

BTW: My motherboard is an MSI K7N2 Delta L

~~

Well, I think i'm going to go ahead and buy a new mobo. Any suggestions for an AMD Athlon XP 2600? I'm thinking about the MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR, but I don't know being my MSI mobo possibly just fried itself. I don't think it could've been overheating because I have 5 fans in my system, and I put arctic silver 5 on my CPU about a month ago... so I dunno.

I'll ask my dad to see if I can hook up my new PSU to his mobo to make sure it's not the new PSU's problem. If it works with his, then I think I'll go ahead and buy a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom