DVD region decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
ow does DVD region decoding work?

is it hard coded into a DVD reader's hardware, firmware or software.

how can i make my DVD reader region free.

I'm just going to assume that DVD's are coded the same way as video games. (I know a ton about video games, because I spend most of my time at a video game forum.) There is is usually a chip in the DVD player's hardware that will prevent you from watching movies from other regions. You can override it with special software, however. You will need to look online for the software, becuase I don't know where it is located. You will probably be able to buy a DVD that you can put in your player before each use that will disable the region protection. However, PAL (Europe) format DVD's will give you a lot of trouble, because unlike Japan and other Oriental countries, PAL disks will not be able to display an image on an NTSC moniter, without the signal being converted, so you may need to convert the signal before it reaches the moniter, so that it will be able to display the image.

rookie1010 said:
ow does DVD region decoding work?

is it hard coded into a DVD reader's hardware, firmware or software.

how can i make my DVD reader region free.

its on the disk and the drive itself, the disk has some special format bits set,and the drive looks for them

the disk drive can usually have its region code set to something else, usually only 1 or 2 changes are allowed though,ive done it once cause a used drive had euro region code on it,with a PC you just run a little program made to do this,not sure how a reg DVD player can be changed, firmware upgrade with a special DVD I would guess, or switches inside it somewhere.

in the case of a computer, software can override both, you can play just about anything on a PC no matter what it is

i was talking about a dvd drive, in particular a dvd drive for a laptop(i giuss laptop/pc is the same)

is there some installable/uinstallable software that i can use to play all region DVDs on my laptop

i guess with a regular DVD player, the region code is probably in some sort of flash which can be changed 6 times or 3 times, probably some counter in the flash code which is checked before the update routine for the dvd region can be accessed.

update routine being just a setting of bits in a certain memory location of the flash.

i guess with dvd drives of laptops and pcs the functionality of checking the number of times the region has been set might be over ridden or the appropriate region bits might be spoofed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom