No performance out of my xp-90 heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
I recently began building my new computer yesterday. I disgarded the stock athlon 3500+ heatsink and installed the huge xp-90 instead and attached the stock fan on top (what a hastle)...

After I installed Windows I went back into bios to check the cpu temperature and it hovers back and forth between 36 and 38 at idle (with case open and a 120mm case fan). When I first booted it was 34-35 but after several minutes its in the higher 30's. Shouldnt i be getting cooler idles in the very low 30's? I havnt had a chance to test it during a full load.

If I installed the heatsink in one direction instead of the other, would that make any difference?

It would be nice if you provided the ambient room temperature...

You can't install it "another direction" since the heat conductive bottom is only found on the...bottom

If you look at the xp-90 its a very asymetrical heatsink. with the 4 heatpipes on one side and an overhanging set of fins on the otherside, thats what I meant. The base just barely reaches the edge of one side of my processor and overlaps on the otherside so I wonder if that has anything to do with the lame performance (probably not)

But I've heard the stock fan is supposed to work fine too :(

You should at least check load temps before going to far. Often load temps are reduced a lot more than idle temps when going to an after market cooler.

For example, I installed a Tower 112 HSF and results were:

Idle went from 36 - 32: 4 degree drop in temp
Load went from 59 - 47: 12 degree drop in temp

Also, BIOS temps are higher than idle Windows temps.

1ST wait till past breaks in, itl drop 2-3C possibly. I have a 3500 NC with a xp90c with 90mm panaflow 58 cmf and when i just installe dit i was running 34-35, then it dropped at 30-32 idle, open case. Now its running like 35-38 idle closed case. room temps here ate 28c, case temps are 30 case closed, a little less open.

Try to clean your case, and do some cable management if u need it, it helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom