did you know? (Updated: All Visitors Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

Whoa there nuke, DJ-Chris knows his computers man.

Now, working inna comp shop doesn't prove you have comp skills. The only true way is if you have certs. I just passed my a+ hardware cert exam, so I'm 1/2 ways there (well, 1/3rd cause I'm taking a+ os, and network+/server+). ;)

Also, being able to ramble on aboot computer parts can prove skils.

Now, guys, I think there's a misunderstanding. I don't think he said defragging your HD is bad, but HD fragmentation is worse than viruses. This is what I understood, but you guys seem to have taken it another way, so we need clarification hea.

The only way I see defragging as bad is if you don't run a scandisk first to mark bad sectors on your hd. Cause if you defrag before then? you might be moving files to bad sectors, thus makign your defrag a very bad one. It's the only way people.

Now, this diskeeper... I think it's keeping me from running a scandisk on boot! I tried and it says it doesn't have direct acess.. err, great, just great. Now do I even have to scheduel a scandisk on boot through diskeeper? cause last I say I could only schedule hd defrags. Home edition is decent, but wth, I ran a defrag 2 times on my D hd and I still have 30% file fragmentation. It really wants me to shell out cash for that pro edition. So now I'm not even sure I'll buy the home edition.

Alright nuke, I'll give, but why are you stalling. In all this time that you've been rambling back at us you could have thought up something from that magazine. Why cant you just give us something. Hell anything would be better.

man see, there is a nice guy here. I didn't say all those guys work in the computer store are good, I know some of them work like in circuit city are geeks, and they don't know much about computers, but when you work in the computer store, which you repair stuff, then those guys don't count as a geek. Which that's my job. For disfragging, that's what I meant too. You guys need to learn from mard.

Heyyo,

Heh, oh I try to be a nice guy. :p

Now, just help me clarify this nuke so we can move on with this discussion inna more positive way.

Did you mean:

- Disk Fragmentation is worse than viruses?

or

- Defragging a HD is bad?

So yes, answer this, and I'm sure we can all just get along. If I wanted to hear a flaming forum I would've stayed at www.nuclearbox.com lol, what a buch of flaming monkeys they were....

Heyyo,

There, he's clarified it people. As you can see there was just some confusion.

But still, I think that eweek magazine's wrong. Viruses act 20x (if not more) faster than fragmentation. Pretty much does the same by lowering the HD's reliability, and crashing your OS, but it also tends to infect and destroy any program it touches.

Now, if this article was more precise by saying that because the average user is protected by an antivirus program, that disk defragmentation should be more of a worry than viruses? then this article would be a little more believable to me.

Disk defragmentation doesn't always go over well for me. For some weird reason, if I defrag, my BFV locks up a lot, until it starts to fragment like crazy and then it runs normal again.. it like, defies the basics of keeping a computer defragged for better preformance, lol. So yeah, usually after I used to defrag I'd reinstall BFV. But now that I have BF2 I just uninstalled BFV. :p

Dj Chris is probably the most solid, helpful, and justified computer technician at these forums. He knows his shit better than anyone. Just read his posts. (sorry off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom