ATX PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyaradoz

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am wondering why there are price ranges for PSUs..

the normal one I checked cost abt S$30 while the more branded like Vantec e.g. cost in excess of $60... The power provided is the same...

what does the more branded PSUs has compared to my "normal" 400W PSU bundled with the casing?

That is more of an economics question. It has to do with how far certain companies are willing to markup their products.

Also one thing to remember is that while they may call a PSU 400W they might only be delivering 380W. You actually have to figure out the voltages yourself to get the exact number.

so a "normal" 400W ATX that cost 30 bucks is the same as one branded one(vantec, antec e.g.) that cost 60 bucks or more?

The normal one is generic meaning that it was put together in a 3rd world country, has no name, and will not last long, give the power output it says, as for all you know they could of tested it in a feezing cold country, at the coldest time of year, and then tested its outputs, and wrote down the maximum it will give out. The Amps on the 12v are dangerously low - meaning very poor stability.

Where as the more expensive ones, from good companies have been tested in a warmer temperatures, like the ones you would be in, and measured the output, stating the minimum average and maximum output. They have a repectable/very good amps on the 12v. They will not blow out on you, where as generic are a ticking bomb, waiting to blind you with a flash, while pouring out smoke, and possibile taking out the whole PC.

It is extremly worth spending more on the PSU. If you can afford it, get a OCZ, Antec, higher end Enermax. At least get a thermaltake, as many users here use them, and are extremly reliable.

Okay to backup their calculations

My case came with a 420 watt Raidmax PSU. As soon as I installed this PSU my PC random rebooted, locked up and froze. I measured how much power the power supply was using

It was around 200 watts, running a benchmark with full graphics and CPU usage, while copying files from all 4 drives.

Now this caused the Power supply to get pretty warm, further lowering the power it can output. At a power efficency of 65% which is the maximum efficency you would get in a power supply, it was supplying the PC with (200 X .65) 130 watts of power.

Now, the CPU (overclocked highly) which was an Newcastle 3400+ and a 6600GT will typically eat up alot of power, just under 100 watts each maximum. Add 2 HD's and 2 optical drives on here, as well as a soundcard, 13 fans and some other crap, your going to be eating a fair amount of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom