New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney55

Beta member
Greetings All!

I'm wanting to either build myself or have a computer built for me.
I'm considering and AMD 2500 (Barton) processor. I'm also looking at either an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard. I open to any and all suggestions as to modifications and upgrades. I mostly do web design and a little programming. Not really into the game thing that seriously. and and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:cool:

I would stay away from gigabyte motherboards. The instructions seem like they are translated into english, by a defective machine. Not easy to decifer. Also, if you ever decide to overclock or change your ram timings, gigabyte boards are not for you...they are very over-clocker unfriendly.

Asus and Abit are good boards.

Gigabyte are evil >=(.

Asus or Abit as suggested above ... my personal preference being Asus as they overclock a treat :) & i have little overclock experience with overclocking with Abit but as from the sig of Bleep hes got it overclocked nicely so cant really complain ;).

Either or :).

I retract my statement about Giga-Byte boards. Well atleast for this new board i bought - GIGABYTE GA-8KNXP 875P CHIPSET

This is actually a really nice board with tons of features. The manual is still hard to decifer, but I bought this new board because it is actually a good board for OCing...

The older gigabyte boards are still crap though. i have one in my desk that is nothing more than a paperweight.

if you are not looking for a gaming system you should get these:
120GB HDD if you are going to be programming
512MB RAM - doesn't have to be particularly fast
no need for high processor speeds like 3GHZ - even 2.2 or 2.4GHZ is fine
ATI Radeon 9200

apokalipse said:
I reccomend the P4P800 or the A7N8-X (for P4 or AMD Athlon XP)

These are both great boards, as well as the p4p800 deluxe.

I still use my Abit board on my second PC, and it is great for OC'ing.

ok, if u are staying with the xp, dfi is ur best bet, but if u still have the budget of 1100-1200$ go with what i said.
intel 3.4 lga 280$
good mobo 150$ (dont know them to well)
2x512 xms 3200XL 2-2-2-5 latency ram 270$
rad 9800 pro 160$
a nice 21 inch crt montior

ul looking at 1100$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom