Making my laptop perform...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
I have an HP ZX5000 laptop which has 512mb ram, a 2.8ghz processor, and the ATI Radeon 9200 (I believe) 64mb graphics. When I play any higher resolution game (or when multitasking), I get a fair amount of lag from the system. I'm a little confused as to just what area of hardware keeps things moving quickly while playing a game. Is it ram, the ecu, or my graphics card? (I imagine probably a combination of the three)

Anyways, I'd like to upgrade the systems gaming potential to the near maximum. Which upgrade should I perform first? Should I upgrade ram as well as a video card? If so, how much ram is adequate? What is the best video card for a laptop? Thanks!

Is the ATI X800 video card compatible with my HP? Is it the best performing video card out for laptops?

Those cards are integrated into the system i believe. Upgrading them is not possible. Someone corrct me if I am wrong.

Even if it was pysically possible to put a newer card in your laptop, a newer card would require more power than your laptop could supply

It's your 9200 holding you down,

Hmm, so I'm screwed? I would have to buy a laptop with a pre-installed card which is better? If that's the case I guess I'll build a better home pc.

Heyyo,

Laptops are good, but they should've standardized a more upgradeable laptop, especially videocard-wise. Yes marshall, you're screwed buddy, sry. Just keep your settings low for decent framerates, cause a 9200 ain't a very good vidcard for gaming man.. it's very low-end these days. Bare minimum.

Indeed build a better home pc. If you want help many of the fourm-goers here are always happy to slap together good comp rigs. You can check other posts for people we've built comps for, some with really low budgets ($726 budgets, lol, DJ-Chris, that setup was crazy with just 38 cents to spare man, I give you soo much credit on that, lol).

Most laptops aren't upgradeable in the graphics department, so yes I'd say you're sol there. Thankfully my Inspiron 8100 was able to be upgraded. Not even close to a high-end gaming machine but it runs WoW good enough for me along with a couple older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom