How Do I Remove The 6800GT XFX Stock Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-E-O-1985

Baseband Member
hi im thinking of buying.... the NV 5 cooler (Arctic Cooling nVidia 5 (6800 Series) VGA Silencer ) for my 6800 gt XFX card, but first i have to remove the stock cooler... has anyone carried out this procedure with and 6800gt XFX card before... could u give me any breif description of the removal of the stock heatsink.. or any links of removing the XFX 6800 stock cooler... i would apreciate the help greatly... i dont think the XFX stock cooler is sufficient in keeping my 6800gt cool enough... at ideal the temp is 55 degrees with ambient temp of 35 degrees.... in gaming the temp rises to 70-75 degrees and ambiant temp stays at around the same sometimes rises up to 37- 38 degrees...... i have two 80mm fans at the front of the case blowing air in... one 80mm high performace fan on the side panel window blowing air in... i have one tube fan blowing air out of the case. i also have a blower fan just beneath my graphics card blowing air out... strange thing is that the front of my 6800 GT the sticker side (one wiw the dog pic on it) is facing down in my case towards the PCI slots... i think that a bit stupid cos the 6800 gt XFX fan blows air away from the card but hot air rises and the hot air simpley forms underneath the card... lol

Their are two pin's that hold it on. Use pliers or fingers on the bottom of the card to make the two feet move in. push up with fingers and the heatsink comes off

WARNING: MAKE SURE THE SPRING DOES NOT FLY UP AND GET LO ST

55-75 degrees is very normal for a video card, especially for a 6800GT. Don't be surprised when you get this new cooler and it only makes a very small difference.

thanks dj chris... i cant see what your showing me in the picture....003 are these normal tems i heard normal temp for 6800 gt is 40 degrees without stress and around 57- 60 degrees with stress???

o yea DJ chris that those brackets that u squese on the prongs to take out the heatsink but whats the X plate on the back of the card.... do you remove those screws on the back of the X plate

N-E-O-1985 said:
thanks dj chris... i cant see what your showing me in the picture....003 are these normal tems i heard normal temp for 6800 gt is 40 degrees without stress and around 57- 60 degrees with stress???
No, in fact, nvidia's default core slow down temp is 135C. GPUs are very different than CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom