CPU Load - 75C

New case and Fans:
CPU Idle - 45C
CPU Load - 60C

XP-90 with AS5 and Thermaltake 92mm smartfan:
CPU Idle - 38-40C
CPU Load - 54-55C

Heyyo,

Yeah, my case also sucks with air circulation man. It's a NZXT Guaridan (cool light show though), and I have a totoal of 9 fans going innt. The main prob with heat seems to be from the PSU and the CPU. Ok, the PSU because it's generic, and only had 1 skinny 80mm fan innit. Needless to say I replaced that little one and put inna fatter 80mm fan and mounted a 2nd fan on the outer side of the psu (heh, I guess I should've cut a hole innit to help the airflow more).

The HSF is a thermaltake volcano12 which I got for free. Because some dumb person tried installing it with force and pliers and then was upset that it wasn't cooling right. The clip is also damaged. Been bent and unbent too much. I tried tightening it, but not 5 mins later does it go back to less bent and the temps stay at 50ºC. With my next system I'm soo replacing it.

That zalman 7000cu HSF solution should work fine. You used thermal paste? another good idea is to sand down the bottom of the heatsink a bit to make it more smooth, this will lower the temps a bit (yeah, even with my broken HSF I get 3ºC cooler than before I sanded it down, so that's always a plus I guess, lol).

The funny part is it Idles around 47ºC and on load only goes up to 50ºC. I've tried putting the fan on full, idle temp stayed the same, and under load was the same... gee.. all that extra power usage just thrown away and it brought noise with it, lol.

So yeah, you might wanna make sure your HSF clip is also pretty tight man. If you had a hard time to hold it down onto the CPU socket? then it should be fine, if it was way too easy? it's probably loose.

well u gotta be happy with those temps now they are reasonable. i would rma a processor if it is running over 40C when i buy it cause intel suggests the procesor never get over 39c and 39c u guyz are dubling that u should call intel and see whats up cause something running that hot will not last u nearly as long as a nice cool one

I'm not sure what you mean by "reccomend," and it might be different for every processor.

The maximum temp for a P4 according to Zalman is 69C, and that's for the CPU casing/housing, not to be confused with the case/ambient temperature. MBM records the CPU die as the CPU temp, and Zalman says that the CPU housing is generally ten degrees lower than that.

By redistributing my furniture and adding one more crucial fan to my system (I opened up the floppy bay covers and installed another 80mm fan sucking air in through the big front hole with tape on the sides so that the only opening is through the fan), I've managed to get my processor idling between 47 and 50C. That means that my CPU housing is probably at 37 or 40C, thirty degrees lower than the maximum as stated by Zalman. That suits me just fine.

I'm guessing that some motherboards report the CPU housing as the temp, which is where all these 30 degree readings are coming from, because nothing short of liquid nitrogen is going to get my processor any colder than it is.

In addition to that, there is always the possibility that my motherboard is reading the temperatures even higher than they actually are. I have yet to hear back from Albatron about this, but I've heard stories of other Albatron users getting that information from the company.

In any event, I once ran my CPU to the point of 78 degrees celsius. It never went any higher than that during the BurnInTest I gave to it, and this was back when my case had no airflow at all, and I believe I had the heatsink installed with no thermal paste. Strangely enough, ThrottleWatch never reported any throttling whatsoever. I'm really confused by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom