Help me with my overheating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstaten

Solid State Member
So I have a pretty decent system, or at least I like to think so. Here is what I've got:

Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
1536mb SDRAM (3 512 sticks)
nVidia 5950 Ultra
80GB HDD
Etc.

So my system is pretty nice and should run fairly fast, but I run into an overheating issue. I don't know if my case is too small or if I have too much stuff crammed into my case, but I can't run my CPU at anything over 100mhz bus or my ABR (anti-burn regulator) kicks in and shuts down my system. I could turn off the ABR, but that could damage my processor and I don't really want to do that. Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions for me??

If you haven't already you should add a 80mm fan pulling in air and another blowing it out,usually in through the back and out the front.

Add fans in the front that pull air in and fans in the back that pull air out. Buy an aftermarket HS and Fan and use artic silver 5 thermal paste. Then post back with your results.

It is my opinion that you have a problem with your heat sink. you have a 2800+ processor which should run a lot faster than 100MHz FSB.

Anyhow, my suggestion is to reseat the heat sink using some artic silver paste. Even better would be to use an aftermarket cpu cooler with the paste.

:)

Looks like i wasn't quick enough with my post...:p

if you use the fans as i posted you don't pull in as much dust/dirt because the intake fan is higher off the ground.Atleast the 2 towers i have are that way.

Well if you can't blow money on it, you can do it the redneck way:
Take the cover off and get your moms fans out of the closet and let those suckers blow :p

ip_impost3r said:
if you use the fans as i posted you don't pull in as much dust/dirt because the intake fan is higher off the ground.Atleast the 2 towers i have are that way.

Most case's that i have seen would be better the other way,Since most rear fan's are right under the exhaust for the power supply you would be drawing hot air back in ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom