How big should a windows partition be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
Well I just hosed my registry and so am doing a clean install. I'm going to make a seperate OS partition this time :). I would just make it 5gb to be safe, but I want to conserve my valuable speedy raptor storage because I know I will eventually end up filling this drive. What is a reasonble size for a Windows partition? I don't want to come within a hair of the minimum, I just dont want to waste a whole gig or something. I'm thinking 3 or 4 gb? Thanks!

No I dont really want anything else on this partition. Im just going to use the rest of my raptor for games/apps and eventually I'll pick up a storage drive when I get the cash.

Go with about 6 or 7GB. Windows doesnt take that much. But, when you start installing drivers and driver apps, sometimes you cant choose a different partition to install them. Plus, if you completely fill a partition, defragging later will be difficult. Also, giving yourself a little extra room will leave space for service packs and hotfixes.

Elbatrop1 said:
Go with about 6 or 7GB. Windows doesnt take that much. But, when you start installing drivers and driver apps, sometimes you cant choose a different partition to install them. Plus, if you completely fill a partition, defragging later will be difficult. Also, giving yourself a little extra room will leave space for service packs and hotfixes.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Anything between 5 and 8. Higher is better. It also depends on your pagefile's size and/or location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom