Intel Introduces a new Revision of the Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacp

Daemon Poster
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050791210923.html

Intel Corp. Tuesday posted a statement on its web-site for hardware designers claiming that this October the firm would roll-out new revisions of its dual-core Intel Pentium D and Intel Pentium Extreme Edition microprocessors. The chipmaker remained tight-lipped over changes in the chips.

Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840 and Intel Pentium D processors 840, 830, 820, will undergo a number of changes for the A0 to the B0 core processor stepping change, including CPUID change from F44 to F47. The B0 stepping is pin compatible with A0, but new S-Specs will be introduced for converting products.

Intel does not note any changes it will perform to the processors originally code-named Smithfield, but advises its customers to refer to electrical, mechanical, and thermal specifications (EMTS) of the new processors for specifications update, which may indicate that electrical and thermal specifications of the B0 chips may be at least slightly different compared to A0 central processing units (CPUs).

Intel’s first family of dual-core chips for desktops originally code-named Smithfield consists of Intel Pentium D 800-series as well as Intel Pentium Extreme Edition central processing units. Initial Intel Pentium D 800-series central processing units use 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus, integrate 2MB (1MB per core) L2 cache and utilize LGA775 form-factor. The dual-core desktop processors are made using 90nm process technology, each processing engine use the same architecture with the current Pentium 4 “Prescott” chip and sport EM64T, EDB as well as Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technologies. Intel Pentium D processors will not enable Hyper-Threading technology leaving this as a prerogative of Intel Pentium Extreme Edition processor 840.

“It is recommended that application / system testing be completed on the new stepping. Testing should include verification that major operating systems continue to boot and run confidence tests,” Intel told its customers.

First samples of the updated chips are expected for August 5, 2005.

Sounds like they will be cooler and more energy efficient. Maybe they will see how bad AMD is beating them and enable HT on their chips, with the EE version getting 2x L3 caches. If that were the case, then Intel would at least be competative with AMD dollar for dollar on dual cores.

well i here the x2 chips are extremely buggy but ill admit they kill the intel dual core chips in da benchies but intell will get there heads out there asses and make a good chip soon u guyz have my word on that one with these new revisions they should be comin close to something good

I have an x2 and it isn't buggy for me at all. Ya, I'm always rooting for intel since people bash them. There going to come up with something good SOOner or later, since they have those billions of dollars in profits to waste on r and D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom