Building new comp need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknowndude

Solid State Member
Ok my plan is to have a low cost gaming comp and I just got a barebones to start me out so heres wut its looking like
Any suggestions welcome

case : Logisys SIlver Area-51 450 Powersupply

MOBO: Biostar NF325-A7 skt 754 nForce 3

processor: AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Video card: Visiontek Xtasy 9550 128mb

Memory: 768 mb crucial pc 2700

sound: Sound blaster audigy 2 Z5

optical: samsung cd-rw and phillips dvd rom

HD: 120 gb samsung

if you have any suggestions plz post them it is most appreciated

Might as well go with Athlon 64 3000+ and you should get PC 3200 RAM since the mobo will support it.

Thing with the 3000+ is that it doesnt have that big of a difference power wise from the 2800+ and there is a 40$ price difference where i live. As for memory whcih brand? ive always used crucial (used to be top brand) and everyone seems not to use it

Heyyo,

Well, PC3200 ram is faster unless you're OCing that crucial pc2700 ram. I myself just use generic samsung pc3200 2x512MB ram. I'd probably cost less than your crucial ram setup and you get 256mb of extra ram to go with it. Size of ram in this case is more important than speed. Cause if you're using a lot of your HD swap space, you're gonna get some pretty bad preformance bottlenecks right there, and most games reccomend 1gb of ram anywho.

Btw, ram isin't the most important part of a gaming comp.. I'd say it's the 4th most important. Videocard, cpu, mobo, then ram.. well, maybe psu is more important especially nowadays with higher requirements of wattage.

Yes, just get the 2800+ cpu. preformance diff is like you said, not huge. If you ever felt the urge you could always OC it to a 3000+.

Now, that vidcard's good, but there's better. If you can try to get a 9800 pro. Damn good card, even the sapphire 9800 pros (make sure you get one that's not a black PCB! they come with cheap ram that fails!). Visiontek's some random other brand, which I havn't used. I think they'd be more reliable than sapphire, cause yeah, sapphire had a bit of a dodgy past there... Hmm, I dunno how much better a 9550 would preform over the 9600 pros.. find a benchmark, might be better to just get a 9600 pro man. www.tomshardwareguide.com check there, cause my school day's over and I gtg home inna min or so.

Btw, trust in samsung, they make high quality monitors n' ram, so I'm sure that HD and optical drive is plenty great. :D

Now, soundblaster audigy there... hmm, soundblaster sucks for drivers man, my soundblaster audigy gamer has crap new drivers that actually make them worse, sound won't stop popping. I'm not sure if creative has made up for it with the new audigy 2 series man.. so it might be hit or miss. Try using the onboard sound on that mobo (which will save you good cash you could spend towards a better videocard like a 9800 pro), if it doesn't cut it for ya then buy the audigy 2.

It depends on your budget. For higher end go for ocz or something, but for a low cost gaming computer crucial or something like that is fine. What psu are you getting?

sounds a lot like my friends computer same mobo chip and video card that card is not very good by the way you can play bf2 on lowest setting and it doesnt look very good at all if u have a job just save up like 70$ cause that is the one thing u absolutely can not cheap out on is the video card so save alil bit more and get a 6600gt or somehting even a 9800PRO would do the trik

TY for the replys

As for the video card i googled it and supposedly all it is is a downclocked 9600 but im still gunna upgrade (leaning toward 6600 gt or 9800pro). And memory im gunna order a gig (2x512) ddr400 pc3200 off newegg. Either Giel or OCZ havent decided yet.
ANd the power supply is a POWER LAB 450w.

9800 PRO BABY! i got mines about 2 weeks ago GREAT GREAT GREAT, i heard a lot of problems about it ITS HOT HOT HOT ITS OVERHEATS! GET A GOOD COOLER AND SLAP IT ON THE CARD! and you'll be runnign great with bf2 and hl2 and junky

pz calm down killer lol it overheats! for a nice card and new cooling u coulda just got a 6600GT with a nice heatsink and fan and memory coolers and u can overclock on stock cooling
but it is a nice card i have to admit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom