AMD 64 2800 vs. XP 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
now guys... I'm finding myself needing a new computer before age of empires III comes out this holiday season. I've been digging and digging in this sort of info, and I found 2 deals that are rivaling for my cash. they are both comparable motherboards, but I'm not sure which processor I'd go with.

Here's some info. The 2800 64 bit one is a socket 754. It's running at $150 for the combo.

The Athlon XP 3000 mobo/processor combo is a socket 462 and is running $140.

Is the 64 bit really worth my extra 10 dollars, and by lowering down a few model numbers, am I sacrificing speed? I've read that the 64 bit ones are twice as fast, and I'm under the impression they just haven't had a chance to do thier thing yet, lacking a 64 bit OS. I'm very unsure of what to do here, and was wondering if some of you semi-pros can throw a suggestion out there.

Ryan

The 64 bit is a whole new architecture, in a sense, yes it is a lot faster. You're better to go with 64 for gaming and to keep up with future games and applications, especially like Windows x64 edition.

The new Athlon 64's have proved themself better in gaming than their XP counterparts. It would be better to get a 2800+

I would suggest looking to see how much more a socket 939 is. Also if you don't need a new computer until the holiday season just wait till then.

Where are you getting these from? I would suggest tigerdirect.com if you want a mobo/cpu combo and don't mind waiting on rebates. I got my xp2900 barton 512kb cache 400fsb and a motherboard for $90 after rebates:)

Go with the Athlon 64. The Athlon 64 is a much better gaming processor than the Athlon XP. However, like dario, I suggest you would go with a socket 939 Athlon 64 instead of Socket 754. Socket 939 will allow you greater future upgradability as AMD now intends to use Socket 754 for the Semprons (budget processor, sucks for gaming) and use Socket 939 for the Athlon 64s and Athlon FXs.

sorry fellas. the nearest socket 939 to my budget is $190. and remember, I'm debating between $140 and $150. Ten bucks really means a lot to me. To answer the question about why I'm not waiting... It's summer, and a dent in my stash while I have income isn't near as bad when I'm sitting on my money and POOF, $200 gone. I also have to budget for ram, and that's what I'm doing with the extra money.

Another question. Socket 754 isn't crappy is it? Mainly the sempron. I realize the more pins, the more effiecient (potentially), but will I be able to tell a difference between a socket 754 2800 and a socket 939 2800?

I won't be upgrading for a while either. This computer's probably going to clear me out of college. (I'm an incoming freshman). Upgradability isn't too important as far as mobo/processor.

Ryan

no, no, no... I'm getting my mobo AND my processor for $150. They're the only missing pieces to my system and I can't choke up another 50 bucks for a mobo. I can get a 64 3000 mobo/cpu combo for 180. I'd do that if I had the cash, but I really don't. Thanks for your suggestions guys. What's the difference between all the different types of cores? I see none, whatsoever. The numbers seem to say it all unless I'm missing something.

Ryan

The cores normally run at different tempertures. I heard socket 754 doesn't work with dual channel though I would think it would. If you want this computer to last you through college (4 years I guess) you really want to get AMD64. I would really suggest trying to save up and get a socket 939 but if you can't get a 754 amd64.
Plus I wouldn't worry about 3000 compared to 2800 thats only 1/14 faster.

dario03 said:
I heard socket 754 doesn't work with dual channel though I would think it would.

You heard correctly. No skt 754 can have it ram operating in dual channel. There is no excpetions. This is because the skt 754 cpu built in memory controler is single channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom