Leadtek 6800GT fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
OK well heres the thing, my friend got enough money to buy a new video card and asked me what to get. Well he bought Battlefield 2 and got some games w/ the card and is really getting into PC LANing. ANyways i told him to get the Leadtek 6800GT and he orderd it and when we had the Xbox LAN that following tuesday he had gotten it from Fed Ex that morning. Well when i walked in he said there was a problem. So i proceeded to look at it and everything was ok. Well when we turned it on everything was a garbled mess and i tried diff things to get it to go away. Nothin. I even tried it on 3 diff computers all 8x AGP compatible. Still same thing. So he had to RMA it back to Newegg and he wont get till sometime this week hopefully. Hopefully before the PC LAN at my house this week. ANy of you guys got any suggestions if it happens again? maybe its the computer?

It was clearly a driver conflict, hence why trying it on three different computers did nothing

Ever think it was all screwed up during the boot up guys? Plus driver conflicts wont cause something THAT bad, maybe messed up picture like it all going to the side or something. Its possible there was damage done to it while he was putting it in, possibly static?

Did you check the temps? Yes, it could be static, but unlikely. If he had ATI before he should use drivercleaner or reformat. Is the PSU powerful enough?

Temps where fine, the PSU was powerful enough, and there was no static due to no carpet around. Besides im not stupid enough to zap a brand new card like that and ive never done it before. His previous card was a GefroceFX 5700. And even if it was ATI it wouldnt be driver issues cause it had like wierd lines and messed up spacing and all that on boot up. So thats why i was guessing it was toast cause the only other card that does that to me is my TI 4400 and that did get fried for a fact. Also the other computers had OK power as well.

I doubt this is of any help for if it happens again, but I have a friend who had his PSU fall on top of his video card. He proceeded to turn the computer on and he got *tada* exactly what you did. Lines, various colors, etc. No picture, just a bunch of garbage. He tried an old card and it booted up with picture and all.

It could have been a defective card or it could have been damaged in shipping or what have you. Try another card/the old one and see what you get. I would say that if you get picture, it's gotta be the card. Not sure what to say if it happens again, but I thought I could offer a somewhat similar story to help you find the problem.

I think it was damaged from shipping or is just a defective card cause it was fine when he took his 5700 out and fine when he put it back inl. Like i said we where at a LAN party and his was an Xbox AND a PC Lan so thats how we got to try it in other PCs.

AmanteImperfett said:
I doubt this is of any help for if it happens again, but I have a friend who had his PSU fall on top of his video card. He proceeded to turn the computer on and he got *tada* exactly what you did. Lines, various colors, etc. No picture, just a bunch of garbage. He tried an old card and it booted up with picture and all.

It could have been a defective card or it could have been damaged in shipping or what have you. Try another card/the old one and see what you get. I would say that if you get picture, it's gotta be the card. Not sure what to say if it happens again, but I thought I could offer a somewhat similar story to help you find the problem.
You dont need a carpet to create static electricity, it just makes it easier. The ammount of static needed to ruin an electronic part is so little that you would not even feel it. Unless you were wearing an anti-static wrist band, you can not be sure that it was not static. Too bad, I love my Leadtek 6800GT :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom