Locked out of my own folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
I am propogating/creating folders for roaming profiles on Windows Server 2003. Via Active Directory, I have created a massive list of users and mass-specified the following profile location path:

\\server\users\childfolder\%username%

My instructions tell me that, via the %username% string, once the user logs in for the first time, his/her folder is created. And when the user logs out, it is updated, so the roaming profile works.

However, when I want to view the contents of the newly-created folder, I am denied access with a permissions error. Is this because I did not create the folders manually and the user becomes the defacto 'folder owner/administrator,' thus keeping me out? While I can edit the security settings on the 'parent' folder, I am unable to edit the security settings on each individual 'child' folder.

I've checked all the permissions and security/share settings and have enabled my account name. I think the remedy to this would be to MANUALLY create each folder to ensure my permissions are allowed, but I'd like to avoid that if anyone has any ideas.

have you set up propigation for the folders? ie, parent folder is owned by Administrators group, and inheritence is applied? Are you in the local administrator group for that server?
sounds like your not.... You will need a domain admin group that is then defined in the local admin group on the machines... Not just domain level...

I'm pretty sure I created the folders to inherit permissions (the boxes are checked in each folder's "advanced" section of their Security tabs, and under my domain admin account, it says I have full access inherited from the root folder.

I am a "Member of:"

Administrators
Domain Admins & Domain Users(think it might be a conflict in these two?)
Group Policy Creators

Edit: I even changed all permissions and security settings to allow "everyone," and it's still not working. So now I know something is wrong.

try removing your self from Domain users. unless you need that for a rights issue... :)

what are the permissions that are defined on the folders and the parents? groups/users/explicit/inherited?

I removed my membership to the Domain Users group, just in case.

However, I have checked and double-checked the permissions. I have full access to the folder, just not to the folders that are auto-created by active directory. I think I may just create the folders manually. That way, I am completely sure that I have access. I was just looking to save some time.

Thanks for the help anyway, elite-uber Inaris. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom