Help! Disc Read Error on my seasgate st3200822A

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosian

Solid State Member
I have a p4, 2.4 gig on a pentium MB with 1.0 gig DDR Ram. i have 2 seagate st3200822A hard drives hooked up on my system. I've been getting the following problem alot over the last couple of months and the only way i've resolved it was by reformating my HD and reinstalling windows XP SP2.

here's the problem. my system works fine for a couple of weeks but every now and then, for some strange reason, i get the following message after rebooting my system:

"A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

windows won't load up. i've checked the bios to ensure that the system is recognizing the the hard drive and it does. i'm frustrated with this. has anyone ever had this problem and if so, how can it be resolved without having my reformat my HD.

are the seagate ST3200822A hard drives bad?

SHAWN said:
Sounds like the drive is going bad. go to the seagate website and download their diag tool.

will do

i read on other forums that this problem resides from the NTFS formatting windows does. i also read that i would have to format the drive using fat32 instead of ntfs.

anyone know of anything regarding this?

how would i go about doing that? whenever i install xp from scratch, the only format that it allows me to do is NTFS. i'm using a 200 gig HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom