my water rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
CPU Water Block: Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 754/939/940 $58.95
GPU Water Block: Acetal Version MAZE4GPU $46.45
Pump: Swiftech MCP650 Extreme Duty 12VDC Water Pump 1/2" ID $71.99
Heater Core: Double Heater Core with Fittings from Bonneville 1977 Heater Core without AC $34.99
Tubing: Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD, $2.80 per foot, $28 for 10 ft

Danger Den Fillport $11.95
Polypropylene "T" $1.75
Polypropylene "Y" $1.75
Arctic Silver Ceramique $3.49

Should I get another pump over the Swiftech MCP650? Should I get the Swiftech MCP655 instead?

Would that heatercore be more effective than a radiator? a Black Ice Extreme for example?

Will the tubing fit? It says on the heatercore that it can come with 1/2" OD fittings. I am using 1/2" ID tubing. Will it fit?

Are there any other parts I will need? Are there any other parts I should get instead of the ones listed?

well 5 year lifetime doesnt sound very loud i might look for a more efficiant pump or look for reviews and see what poeple say but to me looks pretty good and since u have a spacy caomputer u should be set with size matters.

well 5 year lifetime doesnt sound very loud
??? Care to explain what the hell that sentence means?

i might look for a more efficiant pump
So I'm assuming you have a great knowledge of pumps then? If so...why don't you give him suggestions instead of simply saying "get a more efficient pump"...it's inefficient compared to what exactly?

1/2" OD (outer diameter) Nozzles is what 1/2" ID (inner diameter) tubing goes on.

the D5 pump is quieter and apparently has variable speed controll...don't much care for the variable speed, but the quieter is better. D4 = MC650 BTW, so I'm assuming the D5 is probably the MCP655

Those are basically the best pumps you can get in that price range..your other option would be an AquaXtreme 50z in which it's like AMD vs Intel...some people say 50z is better, some say the D4/D5 is better.

The next step up would be something like an iwaki Z pump which run for about $175 and are pretty big but they pump crazy amounts of water.

heatercores do give you better performance than a normal radiator....heatercore is water passing through small fins whereas radiator is copper tubing with (generally aluminum) fins attached to it.

heatercore may look uglier, but you could always paint it yourself.

I can see why you have a poly "T" in there for the danger den fillport so you can simply use a t-line, but why do you need a "y" splitter?

Other than that, everythings fine

Pretty much exactly what I have except I bought my own heatercore from an autoparts store and modded it...it's a bit different from yours...I think it's thicker than that particular one...but yeah, same block, same pump, fillport...I have the maze4 but I have the brass top.

yeah the 655 is the D5 which is the better pump than the D4 and the same price anyways so there's no reason not to get it

According to the reviews at the dangerdenstore, the D5 is still fairly loud. Then again, these reviews are probably very unreliable.

If Danger Den's D5 is somewhat loud, is it fair to assume that Swiftech's D5 (MCP655) is loud as well?

Is the D5 a specific kind of pump where different manufacturers make their own? Is it similar to how the 6800 GT is a specific card while different manufacturers sell their own card? Would this analogy apply? eVGA:6800GT :: Swiftech:D5 or MSI:NX6800GT :: Swiftech:MCP-655

If the MCP-655 is virtually the same as Danger Den's D5, perhaps I'll just get the D5 from the dangerdenstore to eliminate having to order from multiple websites. Unless Swiftech's D5 is different and is noticeably better, then I see no reason to go with the MCP-655 over the D5.

It says that the MCP-650 outputs around 34 dBA. What could I compare that sound level to? For instance, how loud would a 6800 GT fan be? My GPU fan makes up 90% or the sound in my computer, and it almost sounds like a rocket ship. At least water cooling can reduce that GPU fan sound!

Will heatercore's bring a noticeable performance gain? They seem to be cheaper so either way, I'm leading more towards it. I was looking into getting a heatercore from autozone. Then I heard that they have pre-modded heatercores for a few bucks more so why the heck not.

I actually have no clue as to why I have a Y-splitter. I think it was one of those "just-in-case" reasons or something.

MCP650 = D4
MCP655 = D5

Dangerden itself doesn't make pumps, seperate companies such as Swiftech and Laing make the pump for dangerden. So yeah, basically it's like a 6800GT from eVGA. One company makes a product for another company.

The D4 honest to god is not loud, I don't what these people are thinking unless they have really sensitive ears. I hear my fans spin up before I hear the pump turn on. Either way I'd personally prefer some indication that the pump is operating, otherwise by all means it could die on me and my CPU or GPU could kick the can without me even knowing about it.

Heatercore is more effective, water is forced through an area with a higher surface area therefore it is dissipated more effectively

As gaara said...and infact I said in one of my first posts, the MCP650 IS the D4...if you bought the MCP650 in the manual it'd be listed as a D4 pump so dangerden just goes with that name.

Also like gaara said, I don't understand these people who complain about the sound...I got a friend with a quieter case than mine who has water cooling as well and I can't ever hear his pump....I can only hear my pump when I first turn on the computer as, opposite of gaara, it seems to turn on a split second before the fans.

So the D5 pump found at the dangerdenstore is made by Laing? Did Swiftech decide to change the name of the D5 to the MCP655 while Laing just decided to stick with the "D5" name? I got confused. I thought the D5 at the dangerdenstore was actually made by Danger Den, and then I saw that it was made by Laing.

To be honest, sound isn't really the biggest issue with me, but when the only other sound in the case is simply 2x120mm fans, the slightest louder sound could become quite distinct. My PSU is COMPLETELY silent; my hard drive is stored at the back of the case so I can barely hear it think; my GPU fan is the sound of a plane engine, but it will be water cooled; my chipset fan isn't horridly loud, but it is a tiny fan RPM'ing damn high.

As long as the fan is more quiet than my GPU fan, I'm more than satisfied.

With that said, I think I'm leading more towards this Laing D5 (made by Laing, correct?). Is it exactly the same as the MCP655 since they are virtually both the D5 pump? same performance? sound level? etc.

Gaara brings up a really good point though. Is there any means of determining if there is actually water-flow? Is it visibly distinct? If you can't really tell, isn't it potentially dangerous if your pump fails and your parts just eat themselves alive?

As we said, MCP655, D5, it's all the same pump....that one has variable speed so I guess if the sound is absolutely intolerable you will be able to turn it down, but I doubt it will be.

And no, once the system is completely bled of bubbles you pretty much can't tell water is flowing at all....they do have flow meters out there...basically just a little wheel in the middle of where the hoses plug into...but are you really gonna get in your case and check that every time you turn it on? Unless you did something clever and mounted it in the front of your case.

Your CPU would more than likely hit it's thermal treshold and then shut off like any other computer would do. I asked this question over at xtremesystems and people said they've had pumps die, but never a CPU or GPU die from it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom