What card for DUAL 19" LCD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacooler

Baseband Member
I'm a newb just to clarify.

I just got 2 19" DVI LCD's. Now what type of card should I get?

NOTE: I don't play games, but do a lot of photoshop/dreamwever work. Also, I don't think my mobo (a7n 266) does that new PCI express.

Cost is an issue, but I need good image quality(this trumps price concern)

Also, these monitors DON'T come with DVI cables. So I assume I would need to pick up 2 cables plus the card.

Is dual DVI necessary (it seems this really jacks up the price) or will one DVI and one VGA look fine?

Thanks so very much.

I am running dual 19" LCDs off of my XFX GeForce 6600GT. I have no idea how this rates for image quality, though, maybe someone else knows. This card has two DVI ports, but I am using DVI->VGA converters.

Thankyou Chris. What do you guys think about going one with VGA and the other with DVI? That really brings down the price. But this might result in two different looking displys no?

Their is a loss in image quality, however some people may not even notice it.

Best bet is go to a local PC store, or a best buy ect, and test out an high end LCD with both DVI and VGA, but test the VGA with an adapter to DVI (The LCD's have to be DVI). If you act like your going to buy a pair of 19" LCD's and a new high end video card, they will be pleased to help you.

I'm pretty sure that there is a difference between digital DVI and analog DVI. Most of the cheaper cards are going to have an analog DVI port (which can be converted to VGA by a simple adapter). A true digital DVI port can't be converted. It would stand to reason for me that an analog DVI port wouldn't provide any benefit in terms of image quality, but of course I may be wrong there.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but they have DVI-D ports.

The problem is the cheapest card I can find with Dual DVI is $140. I really don't need any of the stuff on those cards.

Anyone have a guess as to how different they would look if I did 1 VGA and 1 DVI? I've heard some people say they can hardly notice a difference with DVI. It would save me around 60-80$.

Anyone have suggestions on which non dual-DVI card to get? Which chipset is the best:

Geforce FX 5200
Geforce FX 5500
Radeon 9550
Radeon 9250
Geforce 6200
Geforce FX 5700

? I'm pretty clueless

6200 is the best out of all of those, and for ATI the 9550 is, but it is weak in comparasion to the 6200

The 6200 can be had for around $70. The Radeon 9600 for about the same. Any ideas about which is better? Which is the best manufacturer? Also, keep in mind I'm not doing any games...only graphics. So you think the 6200 over some of the older Geforeces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom