Need ideas for the splitting of Hardware Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
when it splits, will you start the forums afresh, of will you have to sort every singlr thread into its correct category? that would take ages...

apokalipse said:
do you know how to use the quote tags, vaderpro?

I'd say that's probabbly the favourite one ATM.

although I still think we should have "news / new stuff" and "building my PC" in the one forum, and then have "what's wrong with my PC"
or at least have "news" as a sub-forum to "building my PC"

the reason being, that people building a new PC are the ones most likely going to use the news about new stuff

did that really bother you??

I think it should be split up

1: Help with installing hardware and setting it up
2: Up coming hardware and discussion on it
3: Discussion on current hardware like current CPUs and motherboards and video cards that members here have compared to other members
4: Hardware suggestions, people can ask for suggestions and help when deciding on what there computer really needs. And people can also ask for advice on what to buy for a new build.

No my ideas arent the greatest of ideas and im sure this is going to be a little confusing............. but we need a place where we can give support to others with hardware problems a place to give advice to others and a place to show off our new hardware that we just bought. Along with one place that we can show current builds and have a place where we plan out our builds and such along with other members for advice....

Oh and about all the old threads what we can do is make another area that contains them all and call it the Forgotten Hardware board. and lock it like a week after its made and any active post can be brought into the correct board.

Looking at previous posts, it seems that the 3-section solution seems to be a favorite:
1)Troubleshooting
2)Hardware suggestions
3)New/neat hardware

I still disagree with splitting it up into sections based on hardware components. Like I said before, this may confuse people because they may not know how to diagnose a hard drive or video card problem and be able to sort their post into the apporopriate section.

With the list I just gave, if a new member were to have a problem with their computer, they would definitely know where to go. Same goes for the other 2 sections.

My vote goes for this division:

1. [*]Buying suggestions
    [*]Troubleshooting
    [*]Overclocking (as it is now)
    [*]New Tech/Neat-Tech-Stuff

[/list=1]

Honestly, there is no difference in helping people with their CPU/HDD/Vid card or whatever. It is usually the "subject matter" that people discriminate with when they visit a forum. I mean, I don't care what I help someone with when I am in the mood for it.. It's not as bad as you guys make it sound IMO with respect to video cards. The thread does NOT go beyond the 2nd page in a typical day.. And not even the 1st page for the most of the day. If it goes to the 2nd page, it usually means its a stupid question or no one knows the answer to it. Even then someone will come in and say something like "Dude! That sucks!" - which will automatically bump it up :)..

Making a separate Video card" section is pointless IMO. Just make a sticky at the top with the obvious questions if it is such a hassle. I just don't think separating it based on different types of h/w is gonna be great in the long run. Too many mouse clicks for one thing to check all the forums.

It's nice to divide it to different sections b/c as I've said in this thread, I think a lot of people that we want to be here "leave" b/c the content on TF is degrading by the day.

I mean, we have billions of threads of "Build me a computer" or "is this card any good?" or "3200+ Venice or 3500+ Venice".. It just gets boring for some people. It's nice to have some serious discussions about [computers/new "cool" stuff], instead of them getting buried by endlessly debates of which CPU/Vid card is better or which "system to build".

So I think a new section that deals with "cool" computer stuff that people develop in Universities and research labs is a must..

I like the looks of Chankama's suggestion. Having the overclocking section in there as well would be kinda neat. If we did it that way, then there shouldnt be Hardware subforums.

Perhaps it could go like this:

Ya know on the front page of TF, there is sections like "PC Technology Section" and "The World Wide Web?"

We should make a new one!!

It could be called "Computer Hardware." But, within that section is where we have the Buying suggestions, Troubleshooting, Overclocking (as it is now), New Tech/Neat-Tech-Stuff.

So it would be like making subforums of The Hardware Zone, but expanding them onto the front of TF.

Also, within the subforum (but not a subforum) we should have the build stickies as I suggested in this thread:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55655

What do you guys think? I might not be that clear in my writing as I am quite tired:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom