Unbelievable Boost Of Speed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcw757

Baseband Member
This may be a little off topic, just wanted to share with people who actually understand what I'm talking about except just smiling and nodding.

1 year ago, bought a dell dimension 2400, I was short on cash, and my job demands me to have a computer. The computer was ok, not great, 2.4 Ghz Celeron, 256 Ram, 40g HD, CD Burner and CD Drive, everything integrated, sound - vid - lan - etc... Well, the time came where the dimension wasn't cutting it anymore, so I saved up a little money and started watching some internet stores for a good deal. Because at the time I upgraded my computer I didn't know this site existed, I put some faith into my past computer knowledge (hadn't messed with a computer since the last one I built, and it was an AMD K6-2 500mhz system) and went out to buy processor, MB, RAM, and whatever else I could afford.

What'd I end up with?
Tigerdirect put a barebones system on sale, no mail-in rebates (which I like) for the following items:

Abit KV7-V Via Socket A ATX Motherboard
Athlon XP 3000+ w/fan
128MB Video Card
512MB DDR PC3200
ATX Mid-Tower Case
400 Watt X-Connect Power Supply

All to the tune of about $250 after shipping. To me, that was a decent deal, so I jumped on it, and I ended up receiving the unit the next evening! (I must be close to their warehouse) So now I'm stoked. Only thing was, I was planning on upgrading my HD too, and I had completely forgot about ordering one from TD. So off to my local computer shop I go, and there I find is one of my best buddies I graduated Highschool with. We talk for a couple of hours, finally I get around and tell him what I need, and he sells me a new Seagate 160gig for $80. Good deal!

Now, go home, transfer all my data off of Dell HD to the Seagate Drive (using Seagate's included software) After that's done, get the barebones ready, install the new hard drive, throw in my WinXP cd, did a quick restore of windows, and viola. The computer is back up and running.

Now up to this point, you guys are going, wtf am I reading this? The answer: I have no idea. I just needed to vent to few people that aren't computer illetarate.

Moral of the story however, Dell seriously sux. Wow, I knew I would be gaining some speed, but nothing like this. This is completely unbelievable how much of a difference I'm seeing. I can't believe my Dell was slowing my internet down so considerably, and jumping from program to program, as I do a lot with work, is no biggie.

Anyways, thanks to all of you guys for this site. It's definantly been a nice world of information for me, even though I just noticed a week ago.... Keep up the good work...

Dude, a 2.4 celeron (nonD) performs worse than a 2.0 P4. Even worse I assume. A speed boost to a 3000+ will def beat a 2.4 celeron, even if it weren't dell.

A huge part of your speed increasement came from doubling your ram. Windows Xp + 256 RAM equal very bad for the average user. Most people I know cant keep there ram usage below 256 but has not problem keeping it below 512. If you keep your ram usage below the amount you have your computer will go much faster.

As of right now, I'm using 197 out of my available 512. Granted, this is with only 4 web browsers going, and an excel workbook (about the extent of my computer use)

You think that was a big speed boost? The PC I used to have was a crappy HP, 1.7ghz celeron, 128mb shared pc2100 sdram, 40gb hard drive, 200w psu, integrated intel extreme graphics 8mb (leeched from system memory), and onboard ac'97 audio. Then I decided to save up my money and I built the PC in my sig. Now THAT was a speed boost.

Dude, my last pc was a p200 Dell. It had 32mb of memory and no 3d card. I saved up for like a year before I bought my current pc (which has since has a couple upgrades). Talk about a speed boost lol

My first pc was a pentium 66 w/ 16mb a ram ( like 2.5 years ago) and a 1gig drive.

Then I went to a athlon-m1400+ 256mb 40gb. About 1.5 years after having that I upgraded to 512mb. The total price costed me was about 170 dollars.

Now I have a amd athlon 64 3000 venice
80gb hdd
1gb ram
sweet case
ati x600 pro video card

I built this a couple of weeks ago.
I was the happpiest kid in the world when I had that athlon-m 1400+ from a 66mhz pentium lol.

jorsoft03 said:
Dude, my last pc was a p200 Dell. It had 32mb of memory and no 3d card. I saved up for like a year before I bought my current pc (which has since has a couple upgrades). Talk about a speed boost lol

My router pwns your old PC spec wise

Defiantly a major speed boost

I upgraded from P2 400MHz to Athlon XP 1.4GHz. Way slower than I expected. Not even twice as fast in windows. Still lags. Bit faster but still sucks. Only upside is better gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom