Dont get pissed need a 3000 dollar pc for family friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
timmer said:

2gigs of ram 3200 since amd doesnt support ddr2 yet

They are not going to support it, either. There is a reason they skipped DDR2, prolly because it sucks, but they are going to go straight to DDR3.

If he doesn't game he won't need anywhere near a 7800GTX...ever

I don't know why the hell you people suggest such ridiculously stupid ideas such as watercooling and G.Skill, if he can't build a computer he clearly won't be overclocking it anytime soon. I also doubt he's comfortable enough to perform the maintenence of filling/draining a loop every so often.

When you deal with clients like I do everyday, you always get people with deep pockets. I ask them what they need to computer to do, and most of the time they don't come close to spending half.

But yeah, the chance of a computer lasting eight years is slim to none. Let's flash back eight years from now, can you really picture a >P2 performing well?

They are not going to support it, either. There is a reason they skipped DDR2, prolly because it sucks, but they are going to go straight to DDR3.
AMD will be moving to DDR2 in early 2006 upon the release of their newer sockets, namely M2. The DDR3 skip was a rumour that AMD denied a few days after it was published

I think it should last o good 7 years or so

I have a 1.8ghz p-4 chip that was made in 2000 and it works fines
So considering I would wager to think that by buying the best cpu out right now it would last more than 5 years easy.

Also i was considering water cooling just for the sake of noise
and as for a gfx card i was thinking to go with just a 6800ultra
ram wise 2 gigs is what i was thinking
oh yeah speakers and a soundcard
probly the logitech z-5500
soundcard maybe a highend turtlebeach or a soundblaster audigy 2 zs platinum pro
maybe one of Apples 23 inch cinematic displays
and mobo not sure yet
for the case not sure yet
for the opticals not sure yet
hard drives probly 4x 250gig seagate sata's
a nice xp-120 for the cpu unless i go water
get a nice cordless desktop
and i think that should be it
oh yeah and a nice 802.11 pre n mimo router and pci card

If you go AMD, I would definately go with the dual core since to most people general multi tasking is far more important than gaming performance.

If you do want to give him good video performance as well, a 6800GT would be MORE than enough.

The just go good components after that. Brand name hdd, mobo, RAM etc. You don't need to worry about OC performance. Valueram would be fine.

I put a decent amount of the budget towards a big nice LCD screen. His eyes might be getting worn and a big screen will be nice.

Does he really need a terabyte? I have hundreds of hours worth of anime stored on about 250GB worth of space

Hmm 939 and socket M will both last a great deal of time if they dont need the latest thing out on the market all the time. I htink any dual core will suffice and 2 gig of ram w/ a 6800GT and a Nice LCD.

Why not tell him to build a 1500 dollar computer now, and in 4 years build another 1500 dollar computer

If he invests that money, he could probolly make another 2000 dollar computer instead of a 1500 dollar one.

8 years will not last. That's like thinking a pentium II is good today

Lets use the rule i forget the name of, Stuff doubbles every year to year and a half

1: 4 GHZ CPU
2: 8 GHZ CPU
3: 16 GHZ CPU
4: 32 GHZ CPU
5: 64 GHZ CPU
6: 128 GHZ CPU
7: 256 GHZ CPU
8: 512 GHZ CPU

Now these numbers may not actually be what will happen in the future, but in 8 years old we will be using his computer as a doorstop

You mean Moores law? It states that computer power doubles every 18 months. Lately though, that rule has been disproven, as computer power has more than quadrupled in the last 18 months.

How does that disprove such a theory, you think it has to EXACTLY double EVERY 18 months, it's theory, or a rough estimate, which is a bit of a bad theory to go by today's standards since there is still no universal measurement for demonstrating a CPUs potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom