Graphics card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric_B

Beta member
Ok, here is my issue.

My nVidia GF4600Ti recently fried itself, so I bought a 6800 to replace it, along with another 512MB of RAM. Physical install of the card and stick went fine, and the computer booted up ok, detecting the extra memory along the way.

Now then. The BIOS page displays fine, and the "Windows XP" logo screen appears as if Windows is loading, and there is drive activity, so I guess it's leading, but for some reason, the screen goes black, and shortly afterwards, loading stops and it just hangs.

I'm guessing this might be because I haven't had chance to remove the old GF4600 drivers (cause it died). I've attempted to start the computer in safe mode, but it hangs again when loading the AGP driver.

I loath to re-format my HDD, as I don't want to loose all my data.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Ric B.

OK, I will try that tomorrow and report back, thanks for the links in your sig BTW, V useful!

do you have integrated graphics on your mobo, so you can plug ur monitor into that, and then removed ur old drivers?

about the only thing integrated graphics is useful for, IMO. when your gfx card screws itself. lol

yea... lol. no chance that you have a mate who has the exact same card a you, do you? apart from that, i do not know what you can do. is the ti4600 def. fried, and wont output any monitor signal atall, then?

edit: is there any way of disabling the gfx card drivers in the BIOS, and just using the generic frivers built into windows? anyone?

Heyyo,

Err.. guys? he can always boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers from there... safe mode should use the default crappy drivers that work with any vidcard as they're hella basic, so you should be able to boot to safe mode, uninstall the nvidia drivers, and reboot into norm operations and install proper drivers then.

Another thing, how are you plugging the monitor into the vidcard? if by dvi, most vidcards go by vga as a default. So use vga first, then switch to dvi if you like (had this happen to me). Or if you are using vga, try dvi instead. ya never know with these vidcards always changing outputs on ya.

Ric_B said:
I've attempted to start the computer in safe mode, but it hangs again when loading the AGP driver.
Ric B.

there you go, ThE_MarD

How long so you leave it to make sure it is well and truly hung. on my pc in safe mode, it can take a while to load the agp driver. is this driver referring to agp port? my gfx card is pci-e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom