Laptop is slower than frozen molasis when booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
I have a Compaq Armada E500 and for some reason it takes like 7min to boot and go to the desktop. There are like 4 startup programs and It has very little software installed and I can't figure out why its so slow. Any ideas or ways to make the boot-up faster?

Specs

Win XP Professional SP1
Intel P3 690mhz
128mb RAM
ATI Rage mobility - 8mb :)eek: didn't know g-cards went that low)
35 processes

Hey. I have an Armada e500 as well, pretty much the same as yours.
Windows XP will run too slowly with 128mb of ram, you'll have to upgrade to 256 like SHAWN said.
Problem is, you'll have a bit of trouble upgrading. It is very likely that you have 2 64mb sodimms installed, taking up the ram slots already. You'll either have to buy 2 128mb sodimms or 2 256mb sodimms (if you go for 512mb instead). Keep that in mind when looking at memory prices so you don't get a nasty surprise like me. I now have 192mb of memory ;)

Was yours really slow booting as well before you upgraded? I didn't even know you could upgrade anything in a laptop. So slow booting has nothing to do with programs or other stuff, strictly ram?

Heyyo,

Now, with laptops it's possible to upgrade certain parts. Usually RAM, CPU, and HD is all you can do. I'd really like to see better standardization for laptops myself. I hear of newer high quality laptops using daisy cards for the vidcard. That's good I say. Now, remember man, vidcards were like everything else, they started with literally no memory. Heck, the first Nvidia vidcard was actually BUILT by nvidia! shocking indeed. It came bundled with 2 games I think. I know one was virtua fighter (w00t!). and check this... 2MB's of RAM. Intense eh? :p

[EDIT]
Btw, I read this inna mag. I think it was PC world. THey were cleaning out their old mag shop (bootdisk world or something like that) and found this gem of a vidcard.. in it's original box even with the plastic seal still intact! If any of you guys have it? store that thing inna vault, it's a computer geek gem. Probably worth $900 USD. I know a 3DFX Voodoo6 is easily worth $3000 USD since it's probably the MOST rare vidcard of all time. Was never officially released. People had to buy them from the warehouse before they were recycled.. ti'was a sad day in vidcard history I say. So yes, if you have a hella old vidcard in original packaging (heck, sometimes even without) and it's a rare find? it's a computing antique, keep it. Maybe make it a family hand-me-down.. lol, I dunno now, I'm just rambling. :D

Dr Nick said:
Was yours really slow booting as well before you upgraded? I didn't even know you could upgrade anything in a laptop. So slow booting has nothing to do with programs or other stuff, strictly ram?
I use Windows 98SE on this laptop, I have no need for xp right now. You can upgrade the memory to 512, I'll try and track down the .pdf manual for this thing. I used to have it somewhere. As far as the ram goes, any pc-100/133 sodimm will work fine. Here are some on newegg:
128 MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211101
(the only one on the site anymore it seems)
256 MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=381&Submit=Property

I'll try and post that .pdf file for you, it has upgrade instructions.
EDIT: Try this http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/user_reference_guides/170045-002.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom