Has memory any effect on pauses on games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezy Ryder

Solid State Member
I was just wondering does memory have any effect on those small but irritating pauses which happen during gameplay? I already know what things cause those pauses (or at least I think I know) but I don't know if memory has any effect on them...

And how about memory brands? Are there any differences with memory brands (considering those pauses)?

Yea, if you game I would go with Overclocking Dual Channel, DDR400. I would reccommend CORSAIR or OCZ for brands.... I have OCZ Platinum Dual Channel. Runs everything excellent, (BF2, Doom3. UT2004) etc.... It was like 145$ though,,, Corsair is higher... But yes ram can have a lot to do with pauses glitches.

Well, if your not overclocking ram you would not be able to notice the difference between high end OCZ and low end value ram.

And yes, those pauses are usually caused by the game having to find something on the harddrive, or using the harddrive as virtual RAM since you dont have enough ram

Heyyo,

Yeah, speed of the ram does help, but the size is more important. These days for games 1GB is reccomended, and 512MB is like, bare minimum for new games if you don't want any pauses.

I am currently using like, 2 sticks of samsung 512MB PC3200 ram and it's working good. For newer upcoming games I'm sure I'll buy more ram. Definately more for UT2k7. Definately next year we'll see people reccomending like 1.5GB's of ram. Probably even as high as 2GB.

well, if it is just a low frame rate, then it probably is just the vid card. if on the other hand, the game plays fine, but pauses every now and then, it probably is, as DJ CHRIS said, because it is using the hd as ram.

360Man said:
Sometimes its just network lag if online gaming.

What game is doing this?

Well Half-Life 2 is where I get most stuttering but from what I hear it's because of the game. Far Cry is another example except there is much much less stuttering than in Half-Life 2. I don't know about other games, those are two games I've played recently.

I asked about differences between memory brands because I've been thinking about switching to another brand (I currently have TakeMS 512 DDR400 CL2.5), but from what I hear there isn't much performance
difference between brands so I don't think I'm gonna make the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom