Setting up partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Hope this is right forum.
Anyways I set up a computer for my uncle for video editing but I only put 1 hard drive in it. Would I see a performance increase if I set it up with 4 partitions like
C: Windows
D: software
E: storage
F: swap file

Or maybe just 2 partitions
D: everything else

Or would it run just as fast if I just kept it 1 partition
C: Everything

dario03 said:
Hope this is right forum.
Anyways I set up a computer for my uncle for video editing but I only put 1 hard drive in it. Would I see a performance increase if I set it up with 4 partitions like
F: swap file

Or maybe just 2 partitions
D: everything else

Or would it run just as fast if I just kept it 1 partition
C: Everything

your first setup is the best. except for one thing. your swap file. it really need to be at the beginning of the disc, which windows won't let you do, on the first hard drive. I'd go get a cheap 2-5 gig hard drive just for the swap file.

Would I notice much of a difference. My uncle likes to keep things simple but wants it to be fast. Is the 4 partitions worth it.

Also this is a sata 8mb cache drive, would a ata 100 2mb cache 40gig drive be better for the swap drive and extra storage?

dario03 said:
Would I notice much of a difference. My uncle likes to keep things simple but wants it to be fast. Is the 4 partitions worth it.

Also this is a sata 8mb cache drive, would a ata 100 2mb cache 40gig drive be better for the swap drive and extra storage?

1. yes
2. I dunno. I have my page file on the beginning of my sata storage drive, but I have no OS on that drive.

Well he doesn't want more than 2 partitions would I be better with 2 or 1 partitions and how would I want to do everything if I went with 2.

dario03 said:
Well he doesn't want more than 2 partitions would I be better with 2 or 1 partitions and how would I want to do everything if I went with 2.

partition is like a house. if a house has 4 rooms, would it be cleaner than a house with 1

I doubt a cheap 4gb type hard drive is going to yield decent performance compared to leaving the swap on a fast but large hard drive that you are booting off of. Most 4gb (or in that range) drives are 5400rpm, have little to no cache, and in generally are pretty slow.

TheHeadFL said:
I doubt a cheap 4gb type hard drive is going to yield decent performance compared to leaving the swap on a fast but large hard drive that you are booting off of. Most 4gb (or in that range) drives are 5400rpm, have little to no cache, and in generally are pretty slow.

you are wrong. yes it would be better to get a 7200rpm drive.
but the swap file on a 5400 will give faster performance than a swap file within windows or a swap file somewhere else on the first hard drive (it's going to be spending time looking for it). windows just plain out got the swap file wrong (which it why it sometimes gives a goofy performance). it need to be at the begining of the hard drive, by itself in it's own partition. but windows won't let you put at the beginning of the first hard drive (linux does. for some reason windows has to be there and it won't let you install windows if the swap file is there). but it will let you put it at the beginnig of the second hard drive.

I do something similar but let me add a small partition for Internet Temp Directory.

I: Ineternet Temp Files
S: swap file

Having the Internet Temp Files on a special partition keeps the Windows C partition from getting fragmented by the web files of surfing. Most overlook this option. I also rename the drives letters as you can see.

360Man said:
I do something similar but let me add a small partition for Internet Temp Directory.

I: Ineternet Temp Files
S: swap file

Having the Internet Temp Files on a special partition keeps the Windows C partition from getting fragmented by the web files of surfing. Most overlook this option. I also rename the drives letters as you can see.

My set up
1 50 gig WD. 3 partitions (2C and a G). 2 20 and 1 10 gig (Dual boot OS, 1 Game Drive)

1 200 gig Maxtor. 2 partitions(L and M). 2 94.5 gigs (My Documents, My Movies)

1 160 gig seagate sata. 2 partitions(S and X). 1 3gig and 1 146 (Swap File and Xtra)

I like you idea for the internet temp file. I think that I will implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom