How much more overclock with water rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just loaded up my bios and found the HT Frequency to be set to 5x (like you said) and my FSB to 200. By changing the HT Freq. to 4x and the FSB to 250, I can get faster RAM?

Is the multiplier we keep referring to actually the HT Frequency * 2? There is no option in my bios that plainly is a multiplier with a value of 10x.
You have 2 multipliers, one for HTT and one for the CPU. The one set to 5 is the HTT multi, and the one that is 10 is the CPU multi. The CPU one is in there somewhere, keep looking, but you shouldn't need that right away anyways.

Like Nubius said before, you can go to 275 before your RAM is even OC'd (as long as you run a ratio of 1:1) so that would put you at 2.75 with stock 10 multi. But also keep in mind, if you go pass 250 you will need to lower the HTT multi to 3.

To start, make sure RAM ratio is at 1:1. Lock PCI//PCI-e at 33/100. Turn HTT multi to 4.

Then, start slowly increasing the fsb. You can probably start with an increase to 210-220, but then just 5Mhz increments after that. After each reboot check stability. If it is unstable, try a notch up on vcore. Check stability again. Keep an eye on temps and see how high you can go. :D

So does the HTT multiplier (5x default) really have to do with the RAM whereas the CPU multiplier (10x default) relates to the overall processor speed? And both are affected by the FSB? Please correct me if I'm not interpreting this properly.

If I set my FSB to 250 and my HTT to 4x, but my CPU multiplier is 10x, wouldn't I be getting 2.5ghz?

How can I ensure that I'm running a ratio of 1:1?

I was able to find the CPU multiplier in my bios, but it's actually set to 12x! You can see all of the pictures of my bios in this article: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDI=

After loading up CPU-Z, it says my multiplier is 10x. But as you can see in the picture below, it can load up a multiplier of 12x.
1107315958G4x3HL5dxU_2_24_l.gif

Sorry for the bit of newbie questions, but I originally set out my build to be a non-overclocked system but my temperatures were ridiculously high, and I need a WC system for safety. Since this can open new opportunities to a faster system, well, why the heck not!

You need to read the sticky at the top of this page....not the one from kangaroo, but the one I posted titled "AMD64 OVERCLOCKING" as all your questions are answered there.

It's actually a link to someone else who has made a thorough guide for it.

Your multi can't possibly be set to 12x as that'd result in 2.4GHz which is not a 3200+ ;)

You're focusing on too much about what the HTT multi is...it does nothing but control the boards overall HTT....normal is 2000HTT like I said....you want to stay as close to that as possible....

200x5 is stock
250x4 also will total 2000HTT
333x3 is technically 1998, but yeah you get the idea...and 2x wont be an issue for you...that has no control over the RAM or how it effects the RAM, it's something you simply must do when you start raising the FSB past a certain point.

EDIT: ok...lol you sure you got a 3200+ I see it says current clock speed is 2.4GHz but yeaaah that's not a 3200+ stock speed.

Get a CPU-Z screenshot of the CPU and Memory tabs

EDIT EDIT: Have you tried setting it to 12 and letting it run at that? Is that what you've done in that BIOS screen shot....although if yours is a 3200+ that'd be an instantaneous 400MHz jump which I'd never recommend :p

I read through parts fo that thread, and it's actually insanely informative, though I think the vocabulary is a bit different from my bios.

Is the "LDT" the same as the HT Frequency (currently 5x) in my bios? And the HTT Frequency they refer in that thread is the same as the FSB in my bios?

So basically the LDT (or HTT multiplier) is just changed as you increase the FSB, correct? You just lower the multiplier to ensure that it's closest to 2000HTT. Why can't you leave the multiplier at 5x and have 250 FSB? That's 1250 * 2, 2500HTT. Is that just ridiculous? possible? Why do you want it closest to 2000?

I have a feeling that that screenshot was taken with some other ridiculous processor. I rechecked in my bios, and the "Adjust CPU Ratio" was set to "startup". After consulting the manual, this setting is supposed to find the fastest possible multiplier. I just set it to 10x anyway since that was the max for me.

It was a bit of a wierd thing though. I set my multiplier to 9x before setting it to 10x, and I got a clock speed of 1ghz! CPU-Z said my multiplier was 5x even though it was at 9x. Maybe it was a changing bug or something, not a big deal.

Here's a picture of CPU-Z:
cpuz_cpu.jpg

cpuz_mem.jpg

As you can see, my memory clock only seems to be at 175mhz. I remember before it was at 200mhz while my CPU multiplier was at "startup" instead of 10x.

And if you take a look at the cpu clock, its at 2.1ghz. I'm assuming it must be because of the motherboard's auto-overclock feature set to 5%.

With DDR550, could I get a decent overclock with it? Most people were telling me to get PC-3200 so that you can run tighter timings, but another friend said the difference is ridiculously miniscule. Can I actually use the DDR550 to its advantage?

LDT (lightning data transfer) is the same as the HTT bus so if you see either they both are the same thing. The HTT speed shouldn't go above 1000MHz as it can lead to instability and you won't notice any performance gains.

Your memory is most likely using a divider so it's been downclocked to allow the HTT speed to raise beyond 200 without overclocking the RAM. Since you already have DDR550 this won't be any issue until your HTT reaches 275MHz so you should go into the memory settings in the bios and change the ratio back to 1:1

Also, many of these questions have been answered through the handy guides posted above, and through easy searches. Since this appears to be a productive thread and since you're actually putting an effort forth into learning this stuff, I'll leave it open

This is a bit wierd. I changed my multiplier to 9x in my bios, but when I boot, CPU-Z reports a multiplier of 5x to get a core speed of 1004.6mhz. I tried changing my multiplier using clockgen, but I got the blue screen of death when I moved it from 5x to 9x.

Could this be a bios version issue?

As for the overclocking, I obviously can't do much now on stock cooling. I guess I'll just go for the water cooling and see how high I can push it. I'll be posting my benchmarks within a month!

Thanks for the help guys!

Nubius said:
lol Him you need to make sure you got your clock facts straight per card.....I've seen people make that mistake all the time, but you did label yourself as the "Wisdom giver" here in this section so you should know what you're talking about in those instances right?

Duly noted.

Calzinger said:
Any idea as to why I get a 5x multiplier when I boot even though I set the multiplier to 9x in the bios?
Well make sure you turn off any of those auto OC features. I noticed earlier that you had some OC 5% thing running. Turn all that crap off. That might be effecting your multi as well.

I shut off the auto overclock but it's still saying that my multiplier in 5x in CPU-Z. The system is also significantly slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom