presario 5000 series 5420US

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirtar

Beta member
Hi, i have a Compaq presario 5000 seris 5420US model computer. I wish to upgrade Memory and processor, however, I cant get a strait answer to the questions of how much more RAM can i get, and if an AMD athlon 2400 xp will operate properly with my motherboard.

Anyone help me out?

possibly, but pulling up some info from a database doesn't neccesarily mean someone is a pro. plus he didn't even help him out, all he told him were specs he already knew.

Be nice ek, It looks like at least the RAM question was answered. With motherboard prices as cheap as they are, you will be able to find one that you KNOW is the correct one and allows more than 512mb and faster RAM.

ekÆsine well i believe you can't really digest the success of others the guy u r commenting about is a really talented .so be careful what you say before u r really into BIG trouble

i was not trying to start a flame war, my intention was to point out the system seems to be preconfigured with the same specs which is xp1700 and 512MB or RAM, which is already what he has. the info seems to me to be unclear as it says:

"512MB 133 MHz SyncDRAM, 2 total DIMM slots upgradeable to 512MB"

since the computer already has 512MB, would it not make more sense to say it is upgradeable to 512MB max in each of the 2 slots with 1024MB total max memory instead of plain "upgradeable to 512MB". otherwise it seems to me to be saying "you can not upgrade anything", which doesn't make sense.

kirtar- since it mentions nothing about max processor it is assumed the user is not meant to be able to upgrade processor. even if you could it may take a BIOS update to recognise xp2400, i would not recommend trying to upgrade processor.

since you already have 512MB memory i would also not recommend upgrading to more memory unless you use programs with abnormally large memory requirements like 3d animation apps that need massive memory to render each animation frame. basic ms office, web browsing, and most 3D games do not need more memory than what you have.

kirtar in case you want to upgrade anyways your memory type is PC133 and since compaq/ HP does not list the motherboard make/ model you will have to open your case and look on the motherbord.

there should be text printed on it telling you what make/ model it is. search for that make/ model witha search engine to find out what max processor it supports or post it here and someone will find it for you.

I cant believe it, I was hopin i could upgrade my ram. Oh well, thx for all the info guyz, I guess i will have to stay with this computer then, until i can buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom