Parts suggestions for new build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igetshockedalot

In Runtime
Cyber pimps,
Got some questions regarding a build I want to undertake in the next few months. I have a buddy that is willing to cough up @$3000 for me to build him a rig some time in Nov/Dec. I built the rig listed on my profile and learned a lot. Here are the questions I have and thanks in advance for your sage advice and comments! By the way, this is for a straight up gaming rig.

1. Water cool?
2. Is is worth it to shell out the extra $600 for the 55 FX 64 or use the money else where and OC a 3.2 P4 with the 1MB L2 cache?
3. What do you think of the idea of using 2 Raptor 10,000 Rpm 74Gb drives in RAID for games with a 160Gb Seagate for other data?
4. ASUS KV8 SLI mobo?
5. BFG Tech 6800 GT OC (X2 in SLI)?
6. What's the fastest memory that mobo will support? Can go above PC 3200?
7. If we air cool, what's the best case? (water cool, same question)
8. Optical drive suggestions? ( I haven't given this much thought)

Thanks so much and I look forward to your comments!

wow that sounds like fun!!!
cpu: go with the fx55
cooling: if you want to go really extreme you could use evaporative cooling but it is damn pricey. i saw an evaporative cooling kit in an australian mag for about $1500. they used it to overclock a p4-3ghz to 4ghz!!!
case: for cooling i hear zalman is the way to go (sorry boys on the forums i know you've heard it over and over)
HDD's: the 2 Raptors sound like a good idea but probably better if you make the 3rd hdd WD as well instead of a seagate because then you have 2 different sets of company hdd software to deal with.
Optical drives: one DVD-rom drive or a combo burner (dvd-rom+ cd burner) and 1 DL dvd burner.

Why should it matter what company made the drives?

In my Opteron box, I've got 74gb WD Raptor, 300gb Seagate, and a 100gb Maxtor. I don't have any "software" for any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom