Intel slaps 'wide load' tag on new Itanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
With 9MB of cache strapped to its back, Intel's third generation Itanium processor stands as one of the widest loads in the chip game. Now, the tubby beast can handle a wider data load as well due to an increase in its front side bus (FSB) speed.

Intel has boosted Madison's FSB from 400MHz to 667MHz on two new models of the processor. So, you're looking at up to a 65 per cent boost in system bandwidth by picking up the latest and greatest Itanics. This refresh should be the last to precede Intel's release of the dual-core Montecito processor in the fourth quarter.

The zippy FSB permits data to move from the processor to other components at 10.6 gigabits per second versus a previous speed of 6.4 gigabits per second. Montecito will use the same FSB when it arrives.

In a press release announcing the new part, Intel revealed that Hitachi will use the wider load Itanium 2 chips in BladeSymphony servers due out in the next 30 days. Customers are welcome to try out the blade servers at Hitachi's "Blade Symphony Competency Center" located at its "Harmonious Center of Competency," which opened in January. Trust us, you can't make stuff like that up.

The Itanic-based blade market hasn't exactly taken off, as we can't recall a single system being sold. Hitachi, however, is betting on the concept, hoping it can crack the the double-digit system sales marks set by Itanium rivals.

Anyhow, Intel insists that it's as happy as ever with Itanic's progress. It has started shipping a 1.66GHz chip with 9MB of cache and the 667 FSB for $4,655 in large quantities [more than two? - ed]. The 1.66GHz version with 6MB of cache and the new FSB goes for $2,194 in units of 1,000

It would be nice it you could quote your sources...

Am I understanding correctly that these are single core processors? I think that's a big mistake since people will be reluctant to dump a grand ($4,000 seriously?) in a processor that will be obsolete to a cheaper, slower dual core processor.

In general, they are not inferior to dual core anything when it comes to pure number crunching, which is basically what they are made for. There was a good thing about the Itanium2's on Slashdot recently.

Basically, the consensus was, they aren't very useful unless you are calculating like the 10 quadrillionth digit of pi. In which case they obliterate anything else pretty much.

In general, they are not inferior to dual core anything when it comes to pure number crunching, which is basically what they are made for. There was a good thing about the Itanium2's on Slashdot recently.
Yes, but what about applications written with multiple threads, something which is ineveitably happening in the next year. Single core processors wouldn't hold a candle.

Don't get me wrong, I find this an impressive feat but I think Intel is focusing on the wrong thing at the wrong time

I agree with you there, but the point of my post was that Itaniums cant really be compared to the x86 because the applications/etc used on them are completely different. Most people running Itaniums are running software that is written specifically for them. That kind of software may or may not benefit from multithreading, I don't know.

gaara said:
It would be nice it you could quote your sources...

Am I understanding correctly that these are single core processors? I think that's a big mistake since people will be reluctant to dump a grand ($4,000 seriously?) in a processor that will be obsolete to a cheaper, slower dual core processor.

www.theregister.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom