Why does a PC turn itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse Potato

Solid State Member
Hi,

I havea prob with Pc. It loads up fine, no probs then all a sudden decides it has had enough, logs itself off, closes all apps and shuts down. Checked for virus's etc. but none there with newest Defs.

So why is this happening? Anyone?

new build, new parts or something? could be PSU, could be something with advanced power management or bios setting, is it shutting of or restarting... go into event viewer check there also goto startup and recovery in system properties advanced tab and remove check mark from restart after system failure. Could be temp related, too. Hardware compatability problem, depends. What was the last thing you did and also list what event viewer might show around that time and if removing the restart from recovery see if you can get an error and post it here.

my opinion is the temp or cant it be the MOBO too?? since instead of restarting he said taht it shut down.. ??

bad psu or boot sector virus or power is set up this way in display properties

Warez Monster said:
Did you get on the net and a box pops up and reads restarting in so many seconds?

From the way that Mouse Potato described the problem, Warez's idea was the closest. There is no way that a faulty PSU could close down all apps, etc. A faulty PSU will turn a computer off instantly.

Warez's idea was something along the lines of the Sasser Worm, among others that automatically turn your computer off.

The best way to combat worms is to go to the Windows Update website and download all of the latest security patches. Plus employing a firewall will also help to keep worms out.

Sorry not to reply sooner,

thanks for all your advice, I will try it out.

Again thanks for taking the time out to help / advise people, appreciate it

-MP

lol its me getting too hot, got keyboard dints in my forehead.

Checked power settings in control panel..all good
updated virus defs .. all good
windows update done ...only 1 update

and still it switches off, I even done the Grrr and bite the fist move and threaten it but alas

Elbatrop1 said:
From the way that Mouse Potato described the problem, Warez's idea was the closest. There is no way that a faulty PSU could close down all apps, etc. A faulty PSU will turn a computer off instantly.

Warez's idea was something along the lines of the Sasser Worm, among others that automatically turn your computer off.

The best way to combat worms is to go to the Windows Update website and download all of the latest security patches. Plus employing a firewall will also help to keep worms out.

Actually that is what you usually call a boot sector virus. it is also a lot harder to catch with an A/V. Kaspersky labs it the only av people that specialize in cacthing those type of viruses.

http://www.kaspersky.com/removaltools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom