MacOSX, Linux, or Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Ok guys, pretty sure I'm at Waubonsee College right now, and I'm using there computers. It's a MAC, I think 10.4 (Tiger) I want to say. I like it more than my XP Home at home, but I was reading up on it. Do you need some special comp for it or what? LOL prbably sounding totally n00b. But I was reading about special processors. Like could I put Mac or Linux on the comp in my sig? Or is that just the dumbest thing any of you guys have heard.

Yes, you can put Linux on the comp in your sig, however, the newest core that most Linux environments use (red hat, fedora, debian, etc.) say Athlon has received more buggy performance than Intel.
OtOH, You can't use Mac OS's with an AMD processer (or an Intel).
However, if you just like the layout of the Mac you saw, there are plenty of Mac skins on the internet to make it look as if you were running a Mac.
One last thing, Linux (and windows, but not as well) can run Virtual machines of any OS, so you can run a Windows (Works, I use it) and Mac (I believe, I've never tried).

Yes, but...

...you would have to get a copy of PearPC, which emulates the PPC found in Macs.

It's nice to play with, but it isn't for the "average" user.

If you want Mac OS X that bad, pick up a $499 Mac Mini and play with it.

EDIT: And you can put Linux on just about any modern personal compuer.

EDIT (again): About the newer cores being more stable on Intels than AMDs...
...I've never experienced this problem, and if you get an x64 distro, that problem is practically nonexistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom