PC Won't start: PSU/MOBO no power and/or no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausitn86

Beta member
I recently installed a new AsRock P4V88 motherboard w/ new ram, new 3ghz P4 prescott E and a new fan. I am having problems getting the computer to startup. If I plug in both the power cables from the power supply(the large standard one and the small ATX 12v one) I hear a short electronic buzz sound from the power supply when I press the power button, and nothing starts at all, except it seems that a current runs through the machine for a tiny amount of time as I can see the fan on the CPU move a tiny tiny bit.

If I remove the small ATX 12v cable from the motherboard, then all the components seem to get power and start running but then I have no video signal on the video card (I have tried different video cards-AGP+PCI).

Any Ideas?? I really need this PC running ASAP.

Thanks...any ideas on how I would go about finding this short?? I've established that it isn't the power supply, because the same thing happens when I switched the power supply.

Maybe when you connected both the standard ATX power connector AND the mini ATX power connector at the same time, you fried the motherboard. Some boards need the mini ATX plug in, some don't.

TMT. :cool:

Did you make sure you are using the correct RAM (ie 2100, 2700, 3200, etc) and make sure the PSU was enough to power the board and all of the components. I've had my board (near) fry from having the wrong RAM in.

Although, it may not be fried. Without the ATX power in, does it POST at all? May be that if when the ATX isn't in and it does POST, there could be a video card/video card slot issue. The only other thing I could suggest is go to the asrock website (http://www.asrockamerica.com/) and refer to the manual. They may have troubleshooting suggestions.

first thing, pull all cards out except the video card, disconnect the cd rom and hard drive. This way you can isolate the problem. And are you totally sure that you hooked up the mobo connectors right? for the power switch.even if the 12v is not connected to the mobo, fans should still start to spin. I would remove the mobo, make sure nothing is touching on the back. and for frig sake make sure you dont have more standoffs than you do screw holes ehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom