hundreds of cds

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hi, I have literally a few hundred windows XP pro cds, my school was throwing them away so i picked them up and brought them home, I'm wondering is it illegal to sell them on ebay? if not, because i dont have the lisences what would i get for each cd as an estimate do you think.

it's not legal. The school falls under a special type of lisence that is not transferable to home users.

doing so could result in a problem for the school and for you with MS... since your talking hundreds... it's deffinatly not something you want to do...

Illegal and you will get in serious trouble Microsoft may not find piraters but they will find you if you are using the schools special XP CDs in a heart beat. If you installed using thoughs CDs on any system reformate immediatly.

none of it is pirating...i wouldnt sell them for 100$/each and i wont be giving any lisences or serials with them, they could be used as replacements for oems, or if someone lost their cd

Heyyo,

It's in m$'s licence agreement that their products are not for resale. So yeah, it's actually illegal to buy windows xp, and sell it off for a higher price on things like ebay. In your case it's the same man. If anything hand them out to buds, maybe get them to pay ya $5, ya know? under the counter deals. M$ won't care for that. But selling em' off high price, WITHOUT LICENCES, and charging good cash? oh dude you'd feel m$'s wrath.

Btw, have you tried doing a search on e-bay? they're all by online retailers, maybe 1-3 users trying to actually sell off. Brave little ones aren't they?

No, it is not illegal! The same thing happened to me. You see, when you are given the CDs with the permission of the previous owner, the license is automatically given to you! So you can do whatever you want with them. Therefore you can sell them on ebay, just like any software you own.

In fact someone tried to get me into trouble because I apparently had no license, but I just explained how I the license was passed onto me.

So in fact you do have the licenses if you were allowed to take the CDs.

ThE_MarD said:
Heyyo,

It's in m$'s licence agreement that their products are not for resale. So yeah, it's actually illegal to buy windows xp, and sell it off for a higher price on things like ebay.

Oh OK then, you're allowed to own them but selling them is just as illegal as any software sold on ebay I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom