Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefski

Beta member
Hi, Wonder if anyone can help.

I Went out yesterday leaving my computer switcheed on, when i returned it was off. And will not switch back on. ive tried a different power cable with no luck. The LED on the motherboard is not on either. was wondering weather this could be the power supply as this seems logical to the problem (and cheapest option). Was thinking the computer may have overheated but surly it would turn back on again!

Opinions Please.

Many thanks

try to reset the bios with the jumper. if that doesnt work it is very possible that it is the psu put your nose by it to see if you can smell anything burnt

cant smell anything but i was running a amd64 3000 and a 9800 with its own p/s of a 300w so might replace it anyway!

Heyyo,

With a new comp, you gotta stay with it man. PSU's usually last more than 8hrs are fine. So yeah, gotta monitor a new comp build, especially the PSU. I'm sure it might have something like a defective fan that died and then the PSU fired. Happened to me within well, 10mins actually. :p

Open your comp, see if you can smell burning. Might have fried something. Bad placement of thermal paste can fry chips (and oh how I've learnt this bad problem.. stupid thermal paste on fingers that gets everywhere..)

no backup hardware. but the 9800 only went in about a week ago and has its own 4 pin power supply due to the cooling fan and heatsink. i was always checking my cpu temp with sisoft sandra and it never went above 56 degrees and even that was after playing hl2 for about 2 hours!

Heyyo,

Did you check the psu? it could be dead. If you can, try n' borrow a psu form a comp shop (see if you can do something like leave valuable id with them or $30 to be returned to you once you bring back the psu.. hope you don't fry it though dude). Try it in your comp. Just plug it into the mobo, nevermind the rest (well, the vidcard probably requries a power plugin, so plug that in too). If it boots? yeah, the PSU definately fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom