should I overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
Im looking into OC'ing my GPU and or CPU.

I have an athlon 3500
and a XFX 6800 GT PCI-e

my comp temp is 44 degrees on idle and the GPU core is around 70 on idle.

Should I OC and if so how much?

side notes:
i have an Asus A8V-SLI mobo, 1 GB of OCZ premier series ram, and 2 case fans.

your GPU is 70 idle?? :\

mine is 70 load

is 70 idle normal for a 6800GT?

btw, the asus board you have (imo) isn't a very good OCer

and your premier series ram don't look like OCing ram either

you could give it a shot though

Why do you want to overclock it, it already seems fast to me.

First off i would say no with those current temps you have.
You also stand a chance of blowing your system or damaging it.

So just keep it at stock speeds for now.

is 70 idle normal for a 6800GT?
Depends on where you're at and what brand...I know mine was idling at 65-70C because it's hotter than hell here during the day, and it got to 85C load....which is actually fairly common.

These cards do have a thermal threshold of up to 120C although I'd never let it get that hot myself....but GPU's are infact a lot more complex than CPUs, but can withstand quite a bit more heat as well

Why do you want to overclock it, it already seems fast to me
I would expect someone like you to be the LAST person to ask such a question. Why WOULDN"T you want to OC?

BTW: Augsy, Idle means absolutely jack...who cares what your temps are idle....load is the important temperature here, especially when OC'ing.

i was trying to do a little bit of OCing just to try it out, my friend said u have to use the software that came with it. But there is no .exe file for OCing. Are there any other programs I could try to OC with?

You want to use Rivatuner (google it) to overclock your GPU, and you want to use the BIOS (if you don't know what this is then forget it) to overclock you CPU/RAM

i definitly would not overclock with those temps those temps are more than my load temps. But whoever says a board is not a good overclocker they said my board isnt a good overclocker i beg to differ. i got a damn good overclock out of my board so that board should be fine just raise the FSB but i really wouldnt overclock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom