very strange problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceman118

Solid State Member
has anyone ever seen this problem? my computer screen will freeze for about 5-10 seconds and then flash to a black screen and then come back to normal. the main window i had in focus will ussually be graphically messed up. for example: only the icons show up. I have to move it around to refresh it back to normal. i assumed it was a graphics card problem so i got a new graphics card for it but i stll get the same error. based on this i have a feeling it might be the mobo but i dont want to buy anything else until i know what the problem is. by the way, it crashed the computer if i am in a full screen game when this happens.

Specs:
abit kr7a raid
amd athlon xp 1600+
OCZ 256 ram
2 40 gig HD in raid
NEW graphics card: msi geforce fx 6200
OLD graphics card: gainward geforce4 ti-4200 golden sample

Sounds more like a problem in your OS (which I assume is Windows). Possibly a bad/corrupted file?

Hopefully someone a little more savvy with what could be belly-flopping you will wander through...

you can try repairing windows, it replaces all the os files without messing up ur apps and documents. google repairing windows for info on how to do so. (if ur os is windows, that is...)

hmm, i thought i had reformated after this started happening but looking through my computer it looks like i have some VERY old stuff on here so i think you guys may be right. ill try it and let you know.

thanks for the help.

Well, I tried reformating and the same problem happend. I also tried swapping out memory with memory i know to be good memory. Neither fixed the problem. Would it be safe to assume something is wrong with my motherboard?

^Possibly. You need to narrow it down a bit more. Do you have any cards on the PCI bus? front usb connected? check PSU?

Well, I have a network card and a sound card. I wouldn't have a clue how those would cause the video problems I am having but stranger things have happend. I will test it out without the cards in the computer. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom